• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Trimmer cable failure

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tl_z_bub

Reaction score
I don't suppose I'm the 1st and I probably wont be the last .... but hopefully it's worth sharing a fairly unpleasant experience I had in my 'S1 a couple of weeks ago

My elevator trim cable was made from 0.075" steel wire as per plans. It was new in 2011 and had logged 325 hours of predominantly aerobatic flying (so lots of "excercise"). 2 weeks ago I took off and climbed to 1500' then re trimmed for level flight @ 130 mph. The trim lever worked, but felt slightly odd - So I added more down trim (which also worked) but when I returned the trim level to level flight there was no change (ie I was stuck on full "down" trim).

At this point I did not know what the problem was (worried about pitch control failure or a jam), so I slowed to 80 MPH, opened the canopy and released the "safety" part of my hooker harness. Although there was a LOT of stick force I established that I could fly the aircraft @ 80mph OK and that I still had pitch control, albeit sometimes using 2 hands as I got more tired (I did consider flying upside down at one point for a rest, but thought better of it)

There was a 12 mile flight back to base and a 3 mile final on "cruise" power with a low descent rate. I chopped the power on the threshold and only used significant back stick at touchdown .... Phew !

Later inspection revealed that the trimmer cable had fractured at the intersection of the solid fuz tube and the flexible outer section near the front of the fin. Fortunately there was enough wire attached to the tab itself (say 30") to prevent it from fluttering - but also enough to keep it at the full "down" position.

Close inspection of the wire shows no corrosion or mechanical damage - my best guess is that it's a work hardening induced fatigue fracture. Virtually impossible to pick up on pre flight inspections though !

I've replaced the wire (available from "spruce" as "Bowden Inner Cable") and just for once in aeroplane world it's a cheap fix !. Going forward I'm intending to replace every 200 hours or 3 years.

In terms of handling the emergency I'm pretty happy with what I did (the "landback" field I'd departed from was only 400m - home base is 715m). However, I'd welcome any thoughts / comments from others with similar experiences.

Latest posts

Back