• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Turbine Toucan

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could run with an F15, for the first 10,000?

I didn't see a price? I doubt it would fit in my $50 hangar:rolleyes:

barchiola

This space available.
Reaction score
What's the story with the Toucan? It's been around for a while but I haven't seen much of it in the air show circuit.

jstreat

Reaction score
Heard it has the wrong engine for anything other than straight and level.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
And the per hour cost will be exhorbinat, especially cross country from show to show. Think, jet engine and low altitudes, all the time. I thought there was a thread on this bird here earlier.

bipedream

Registered Users
Reaction score
9500 fpm would be fun. That would be the touch and go machine.

flyapitts

Reaction score
A good friend of mine was in talks to buy it. Looks like it didn't happen. He also went to look at an F-5, so he probably is going with that instead.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Pretty sure it has the Walter engine. There are several different versions. Not all that long ago the Walter didn't cost much more than a 540 Lycoming but that has all changed now since GE bought Walter. Same engine we have on the Turbine Legend.

index.jpg

wminear

Reaction score
The fuel flow of the Walter is probably equal to the oil and fuel of the m14... if you have a problem with the engine it will be expensive to fix but operating cost is not high.. unless your using the afterburner to climb at 15k feet per min. The thrust required to overcome drag for a given airspeed will be the same as any engine..360-540.. the fuel required to produce the same HP as the 360 or 540 is less fuel than you might think. Turbo prop engines are extremely efficient compared to a turbo jet.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Fuel flow on the Walter is about 40GPH. Overhauled fuel servo is about $25,000 . Less than 10 years ago the overhauled fuel servo was around $3,000.

TFF1

Reaction score
Down low, jet for equal hp is about double fuel flow. Going high and fast is the only counter. I believe a friends TBM700 is 55gph at altitude; below 20,000 does to 75gph. Its on the chopping block this year for something a little less costly. $30,000 annuals are hard too.

Latest posts