• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Ultimate 10-150 just popped up on BS.com

Flying Ant

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not high density altitude? It is particularly heavy for its engine size? I think it's got an 0-320.

Sent from my iPhone using Biplane Forum

moliver

Reaction score
I briefly saw him fly Intermediate at a competition in Rocky Mountain House (CYRM) in Alberta last year and it seemed to do pretty well at a field elevation of ~3200 ft so I'm not sure about the sea level only comment.

Pietdriver

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering this plane. Are there any concerns I should be aware of? Not real familiar with the ultimate line. I can typically buy a S1S with a 360 for less money. Do they show better than the average Pitts?

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
I will suggest that for better or worse, horsepower is king. If you can get a 180hp S-1S, I would do that. The Ultimate's are an attempt to build a better S-1S. I observe that they do offer some performance over the S-1S, but not with 30 less HP.

That said, the seat may be more comfortable since is it reclined more than an S-1S, you might prefer the swing-over canopy, and being Canadian, you might prefer a design from your home geography.

Best of luck,

Wes

Pietdriver

Registered Users
Reaction score
Thanks, good advice, my current skill level does not require the slight performance edge, geography not an issue. Only real advantage was proximity, and registration. Everything currently seems to be in Florida or Texas, so a few bucks to get it here, then I have to go through the hassle of re-registering in Canada.there are a couple on trade a plane, but they look like they will need some work. That would be OK if the price were right.

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There is an SA700 Acroduster 1 up there for $25K on barnstormers. Some people don't like the airplane and I haven't flown one but for what he's asking you get the airframe for free. Might be worth a look. Read about the airplane on airbum.com.
Good Luck
Mark
ACRODUSTER • $25,000 • AVAILABLE FOR IMMEDIATE SALE • SA 700 Acroduster 1, 207 TT, 371 hours since new on Lycoming 0-360-A1D and Hartzell prop, model # HC-C2YK-4AF, prop was rebuilt June 12,2012, governor was rebuilt at the same time, has a christian eagle inverted fuel and oil system, , 6,000 spent on engine did all fuel and oil lines, new spark plugs, had the engine inspected for corrosion all was done June 12,2012, plane has been hangered since new, a great plane to fly, will part out engine and prop. My cell is 1-204-872-3891 • Contact Dave H. Hedges, Owner - located Austin, MB Canada • Telephone: 12043853646 . • Posted May 31, 2014 • Show all Ads posted by this Advertiser • Recommend This Ad to a Friend • Email Advertiser • Save to Watchlist • Report This Ad • View Larger Pictures

Tomcat

Reaction score
Pietdriver,

The Ultimate’s are good airplanes, they never caught on largely impart because they were just hitting the scene the same time as most people were transitioning into monoplanes. Also the Pitts S1 had been around forever by that point and so naturally there were/are more of them out there.

The fuselage is larger and offers more cockpit space in addition to the seat being reclined. I have quite a bit of time flying a 10-200 and even with the seat recline I still used a wedge shaped cushion that tapered from about 3” at the bottom to nothing at the top. I never had any back pain flying that airplane like I do in my S1.

The airplane has full span ailerons which are really nice and net around 360 degrees per second roll rate. Where you really notice the advantage though is during slow speed rolls, this airplane rolls just as fast at 80 mph as an S1 will at 180 mph.

The Ultimate series are equipped with the Wittman style spring rod gear which is about as bullet proof and zero maintenance as they come. It makes landing the airplane almost a non event it’s so easy. The 10-200 I flew also had a Haigh locking tailwheel which made landings as easy as a Decathlon, just faster.

The construction method of the Ultimate series is identical to an S1, welded 4130 fuselage and tail, wood wings, covered in fabric. So maintenance wise it’ll be largely identical to an S1. The wings are a bit beefier than an S1 as they have full height spars, and corner blocking at all the ribs, fore and aft spars, as well as the nose ribs. They are also equipped with 3 hinge full span aluminum ailerons which are a bit heavier than an S1.

Weight will be the killer of the airplane just as it is any acro airplane. If the one you’re looking at is in the 7-800 pound range I would say it’ll perform very similar to a comparably equipped S1. If it’s up in the 900 lb range you will struggle with energy management throughout an aerobatic sequence. The 10-200 I flew was equipped with a 200hp angle valve engine and a 2 blade constant speed MT prop. It was nice but I’m not really sure it was worth the extra weight. If I was going to build one I’d put in a pumped 180 hp IO-360 with a light weight wood or composite prop. Go on Youtube and search for some videos of Jay Womack flying his 10-200. He has a pumped 360 and a Twisted Composites prop and get’s amazing performance out of the airplane.

I wouldn’t say the airplane shows a whole lot better than an S1, they are both about the same size, if anything I suppose you could argue that it would be easier to judge the line it’s on because the fuselage doesn’t have the rounded pot belly look but I think that’d be a pretty tough argument.

All in all I think it’d be a great airplane and you’d get a lot of enjoyment out of it. But I’d ask what your main intentions are with it, win contests or have a cool toy to go do loops and rolls…?

Last edited:

dangerousdave

Reaction score
This Ultimate on Barnstm's is the one we built and test flew in 2011. Has been an awesome plane for my young partner .He will be featured in it this fall in Discovery
Channel tv series called Airshow. I have an Eagle (C-GDRK) and partner just bought a Canadian
Pitts X2C . He can't afford his portion of the Ultimate so here it is up for grabs. We'll check out anyone with the Eagle or Pitts . The Ultimate is way easier to fly with the cool gear and haigh tail wheel. Economical with 150hp and great performer. I 've had Pitts s1c/s1s/s1T/s2s/Eagle and this little hot rod is a real blast.
C'mon Canadians -stop dreaming -start flying!

Latest posts