• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Ultimate 10-200

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majurpain

Reaction score
CANOPY Popped open in flight yesterday.

So there I was after CAREFULLY (not kidding) closing and locking the canopy on my (Larry Baldwin) 10-200, had just turned downwind, and the dang canopy popped open- one side released, one side held. I grabbed the OMG handle with my left hand, and flew it back, thankful for throttle friction with the Ellison TBI trying to take the throttle to idle. Uneventful landing.

So- I have never liked the blind latching system, four pins in the fuselage frame (two aft pins I cannot see AT ALL, and two forward pins I can sort of see as they engage the locking lugs on the canopy). Pretty much have to do it by feel. I had thought that by being exceptionally careful EVERY time I close it, I'd be ok.

That has proved not to be the case. GoPro mounted on the turtledeck just behind the canopy shows that the aft pins had not engaged so only the two front pins had been holding it. Don't know why the springs did not hold the pins this time. In any case, it's time to do something better. Which is frustrating (I know, welcome to homebuilt acro planes..) on a plane I had thought to be turn key ready. Yes, I'm rolling my eyes even as I write this.
Do I need a secondary (a la Vari-eze) canopy latch or is that a BAD idea on a competition / low altitude acro machine?
Don't have pics on this computer so will post them from my phone as replies.
Any thoughts on canopy latching? I'm even open to changing the canopy attachment system, but DANG IT, I wanted to FLY this year!

Latest posts

Back