• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Unexpected ADS-B out effect?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asport22

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to move the Jodel to the airport for final assembly, only to find out that the supply of hangars has suddenly dried up at the nearby small airports. Seems unlikely that there has been a sudden surge in aircraft ownership in the area, so I'm thinking that the people who didn't want to install ADS-B out are moving their airplanes out of the nearby Class C airport.

The airport manager at the airport I'm taking it to for final assembly sort of insinuated that I'm an idiot for just thinking I can haul a homebuilt to an airport and expect to get a hangar. He's kind of forgotten how many times in the past couple years I've asked him about hangar availability, and how he essentially refused to rent me one then because "hangars are for airplanes, not workshops". Apparently he just hates homebuilts.

Now I've got to anticipate all the loose ends and get them tied off before I take it to the airport so I don't tie up the mechanic's shop space for a couple of months. This is my first time doing this - any hints on things that often get overlooked on "finished" airplanes? (I think I have somewhat of a head start in that this was a flying airplane for 40 years before it was wrecked, so as long as not too many parts haven't been lost, hopefully there won't be issues with the firewall forward, instruments, etc.)

So maybe I'll put in ADS-B out just to be able to get one of the empty hangars at the Class C. :)

Warren

Latest posts

Back