• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Unpleasant Canopy Surprise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After I installed the 2 place canopy on my Tu-holer last fall I decided to stick it's (edit) Single place canopy on the Acroduster 2. Works fine and made winter flying at least possible.

I did note that a latch wasn't necessary and that in flight the canopy would open about 1" at 125 mph cruise and about 3" at 80 mph glide. If shoved closed it would stay there.

Today it was warmer so I wanted to open it more and what I discovered was "interesting". In cruise it's almost impossible to open more that about 5". Not only that there is a pronounced nose down trim change the more I try to force it open.

So much for egress. Oh well, I've decided aerobatics are not in the works anyway because even one loop and my back suffers for a day. I've recently stopped wearing a chute. Got 32 hours on her and just flying around looking for 40 hours on the clock......

But it's still a concern. Thinking about designing a canopy release just in case.....does not look simple.

GEDC4121 (800x600).jpg

GEDC4144.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back