Upper Fuel Tank Level Sender Question

Discussion in 'Starduster' started by PGE2015, Oct 9, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Oct 9, 2018 #1

PGE2015

PGE2015

PGE2015

Registered Users

We have been having problems with the fuel level indications in the wing tank on my sA300. Finally traced it back to the sender unit in the tank. The wing fuel tank looks to have been made by starduster with writing on it to indicate a fuel gauge version. The flange looks to be the standard 5 screw one. Does anyone know what type of sender was used for that tank. Stewart Warner or Rochester? The level change for the tank at the sender location looks to be about 4 inches. Impossible to see the part number. The other question can you remove the sender without taking the tank out of the wing bay. The drawings I have have no indications for a sender flange that is found on the left side of the tank.

2. Oct 10, 2018 #2

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Dave Baxter

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

To my knowledge there was no standard fuel gauge installation, the few that were done were to customer only specs. The ones I did were top mounted, as they were accessible, and if they developed a leak at the cork gasket the leak was minimal. It did though require a removable concave cover over the sender. I think any Stewart Warner sending unit will work, about the only way I know based on the unknowns of your installation, unfortunately would be tank removal!

The pictures shown are for a side mount, and was done per the owners request, and are the only pictures I have of a Starduster Too wing tank. Dave

Attached Files:

3. Oct 10, 2018 #3

Timbob

Timbob

Timbob

Supporting Member Supporting Member

How is your upper wing tank plumbed into the fuel system? The gauge dictates what type of sender will work if you can't figure out the part number of the sender. The Starduster I'm working on just dumps the fuel into the fuselage tank through a shut-off valve, only 1 sender and gauge in main tank, no gauge for the wing.

4. Oct 10, 2018 #4

PGE2015

PGE2015

PGE2015

Registered Users

Yes mine is set up differently. You can select either the wing or main tank to feed the fuel pump by the fuel valve. It has two fuel gauges one for each tank. The upper tank's fuel gauge has been acting badly for years. Finally took off the upper tank cover and found that the sender appears to be bad. The sender is on the left side unlike the pictures Dave has. I am thinking it has an Internal intermittent ground. The sender float has about 4 inches of travel to it. Does not look to be enough room to get the sender out without removing the tank. Right now thinking about abandoning it in place and using the level gauge instrument panel hole for a FS450 flow gauge. I could also change the upper tank to drain into the fuselage tank using the valve.

5. Oct 12, 2018 at 2:45 AM #5

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Supporting Member Supporting Member

The Range Duster has a sender on the left end also. With a separate gauge and you can fly off the main tank or center section tank. I like that idea better as you have a issue with vent etc you have a extra fuel source.

Anyway those senders has 5 screws...and clocked one way. Mine was clocked so ya sender only worked when going straight up or straight down!!! Sooo instead of cutting out the “bung” and re welding it so the sender floated up and down instead of forward and aft....so it. Would actually read correctly when flying straight and level...I just made a flat plate and installed wet with 8802 sealer. I have a Jpi 450 fuel flow and will simply program how much gas is in the tank.