• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Upper vs lower aileron travel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macro

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions on this topic. The Jungster 1 I am rebuilding has quite a large difference in defection between upper and lower ailerons.
The original plans built upper aileron slave strut mount gives a large difference in throw between upper and lower ailerons. With equal throw on the lower the upper will have much more down than up throw.
It has been advised by other Jungster builders to move the mount hole on the upper slave strut mount 1/2 inch back to prevent cam locking. I think this reduced the amount of difference a little.
I drew some further solutions and found moving the hole the 1/2 inch back and making it closer to the under surface of aileron brings the upper and lower aileron throws closer together by a very small amount. It seems getting the same (or very close too ) up travel on both the upper and lower is achievable but the down travel seems to always be more on the upper...
So...
1: Is this effect worth chasing to totally eliminate it ?
2: How do other similar bi panes deal with this issue?
3: If some difference must remain, what would be an acceptable amount ?
I know less down gives less adverse yaw but the down going aileron creates more rolling action and this is desirable regardless of extra adverse yaw.....that’s what the rudder is for ay :)

I appreciate all and any knowledgeable input

Cheers
Dom

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back