• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Venturing into Uncharted Territory

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 38

Reaction score
Gents,

I have all the equipment...HVLP, hood, turbine, Tyvec suit and even booties. I have the alum-prep, alodine and the primers. What I dont have is experience painting, other than my 74 Nova that I painted in lacquer in 1980 and that was a bust. I have been assured and reassured that, if I follow the directions that Airtech provided and practice some with the HVLP setup, all will be good in the end.
With $425 per gallon paint, I am getting a little hesitant to go beyond the epoxy primer stage. This is really the first time in two builds that I have ventured into territory where a big mistake cant be fixed by fabricating a new part or whatever I screwed up. I know painting can be fixed but I would first like to know how to paint before I start on fixing mistakes!
I really hate the thought of someone else painting the Skybolt since I have done all of the work (with the exception of the basic box and mount) to date. But I am beginning to wonder if I should put the pride aside and let someone who has done this before to take over the paint work.
So, any guidance on which direction is best? I am sure there are lots of opinions out there, and I am ready to read them all!
Thanks in advance.
Dave

Latest posts

Back