• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

W&B for dummies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok Gang,
After reading some of the W&B stuff regarding the S1-11B it got me thinking about mine.
Looking for insight from the engineers to explain for the not so learned about W&B.
Attached is the W&B for the SS101 listing Max forward @ 15.5" and max aft @ 21.1" with never exceed aft @ 26.6".
I'll admit to rushing and I used 26.6 as my most rearward when I started having parts built for FWF.
I've flown the airplane to 10 gallons(~21"), and though a bit pitchy, it did not exhibit any real instability. I've reset the boost tab and taken it to it's lowest setting. Still has plenty of effect.
Did my first in flight stall the other day and it was more of a mush than a break but upon adding power and neutral, was flying.
I intend to move the battery(Earth X) to the firewall this winter as well as add an oil filter. I also need to remove lard from my @ss! This should move things fwd a bit.
I haven't spun the airplane and will likely do that this weekend, yes from a high altitude(10K).

How much and what effect will I see spinning at the aft cg range?

I've spun most S1's and the 2B&C. Along with a lot of others, even aft on the Decat and Clipt T.
I understand it also makes snaps a challenge, as Robert stated about the 11 not wanting to do anything but a full snap at aft end. The CG range on the Pitts is like 4"? This thing has a huge range if allowed to go to the never exceed. Still has 5.5" to its aft limit.
TIA

Mark

Attachments

• w&b ss101.pdf
    494.8 KB · Views: 0
  • W&B SA101.pdf
    103.6 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back