• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

W&b sa-100

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skyboltone

Reaction score
Greetings Duster People: This post is too long but suffer through if you can.
Dave Baxter probably has this but I need the W&B info for the SA-100 so I'll throw it out there for the benefit of the crowd. You know, the standard envelope drawing with the weights and moments so I can plug my numbers in as I get this thing back together. The plans certainly don't contain the information that I can see. If not available I suppose I'll have to go off percentage of mean aerodynamic chord or something.

Second. I really don't want to put a bunch of money into the GPU that's in the airplane now. At the same time, I've found a new cam and lifters ($1150) for an O-290D but my crank is gone too. So, do I go O-320 or O-235 or just look for a serviceable O-290D? The F and G model O-235s put out 125 hp for takeoff at 2800 rpm and if one believes the charts in the operator's manual 75% power is all the way down at 2000 rpm. That don't seem right you know? There must be some sort of propeller effect to factor in. Chart's that I've seen before indicate 75% at a much higher percentage of full power rpm. Additionally, the power curves that I tracked down on-line for the F and G model O-235s aren't curves at all. They are straight lines. I'm missing something. So...they all weight about the same installed but there are other considerations too. The exhaust in my airplane is in great shape. I'll want to keep that. Is it going to bolt up to any other of the 4 cylinder Lycomings? Bearing in mind that all used engines are cores...there are some awfully expensive cores out there. Then there's the SB-505 business to contend with. The crank in the current engine is a sight to behold. I'll get some pictures posted but the rust pits on the crank nose outside of the plug are incredibly deep. One can certainly tell what position the prop was in all those years outside in Estacada.

I really should start a resurrection thread with pictures and arrows and what not but I'm just getting started and these things are on my mind. It appears that Gordon Nauta built the airplane with the heavy plastic bucket seat in mind. The seat frame shown in the plans is not present. I'm still thinking about the steps to weld in the right tubing on the existing epoxy painted frame. Ugh. The side panels were installed permanently; or so it seems to me. Screws holding on the beautiful wing root fairings pass through the skins and are held in place with nylon locking nuts. Then the interior was glued and screwed in place. I'm losing those interior vanity panels because she's such a tubbo anyway but getting them out of there while sitting in the airplane is frustrating. No, that's not strong enough a word. Blue language is abundant. Maybe I can edit in some photos later today.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back