Waco Classic YMF-5 vs. Vintage Waco UPF-7

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by JRC413, Feb 13, 2018.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 13, 2018 #1

JRC413

JRC413

JRC413

Registered Users

Waco folks....Im in the market for a Waco and having a hard time finding some clear cut discussions about the pros vs cons of buying a late model (mid 90's) Waco classic YMF-5c or a vintage UPF-7. Now before any freaks out...Im not talking about the "collector" or historic value. Im very aware of those differences, but Im looking for something great to fly and with a frequent flier I see a lot of value in modern avionics, Jacobs 275hp engine, lower time, and in most cases in my price range just better looking overall. Id love to hear opinions from those who have considered both or have maybe even owned both at some time. Im curious about flying characteristics, maintenance, or any other info to sway me in a particular direction. Thanks for any input!

2. Feb 13, 2018 #2

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8

wacoc8 Supporting Member

Hi Jason,
    Make that post over on the NWC forum (thanks for joining the NWC) and you will get more information than you really want. I have only flown a UPF so can't compare flight characteristics of the two. I highly suggest flying both models and also talking to Peter Bowers at Classic and Ben Redmond at Rare Aircraft. Ben has experience with both airplanes and will give an honest opinion. His contact info is on their web page.
    Good luck in your search. What you really need is a Waco Cabin. I think I know where you can find one of those. ;-)

Fly safe,
    Dave

3. Feb 13, 2018 #3

JRC413

JRC413

JRC413

Registered Users

Thank you Dave, Ill post it over there as well. I do love the Cabins!