• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: .016" Ti sheet for firewall

dimcuesta

Reaction score
Looking to retrofit my S1S firewall from SS to Ti. Need 3ft X 3ft, 0.016, ideally pure Ti (grade 2 or equivalent).

Reaction score
Watch ebay. About ten years ago I bought a piece of .016 ti. that was large enough to do an experimental Super Cub firewall.

bneub

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from titanium Joe. No problems, good service.

akt227

Reaction score
I bought a piece from Titanium Joe for my Super Cub firewall. Shipping cost was less than I expected.

Last edited:

dimcuesta

Reaction score
Thanks guys, will give it a try with titanium Joe!

dimcuesta

Reaction score
Received the sheet today. Very good service and quick delivery. Only complaint is that they only work with USD even when shipping within Canada.

Taltruda

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How is ti to work with? Can you bend it? Drill with normal step drills?

dimcuesta

Reaction score
Didn't give it a try yet, but from what I read on this forum, 0.016 Ti is thin enough to be easily worked with using the same tools as for SS. I chose grade 2 Ti since it's softer than Ti alloys. My 2 small outstanding concerns are 1.stiffness to support 802 oil valve and 2. galvanic corrosion with outside stiffener made of aluminum.

For 1., I may add a reinforcing layer of Ti behind the valve. For 2. I'll closely monitor any sign of corrosion on the rivets / stiffener.

-Dimitri

dimcuesta

Reaction score
Interesting. What technique / tools did you use to make that? I guess you still needed aluminum rivets to hold the nutplates on the edge?

scottseagle2

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made a tool to make the bigger crimps. Then used a shrinker and a stretcher to get it to lay flat.

Latest posts