• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted Acro Sport 2

Daytona12

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi guys, i`m looking after a acro sport 2
please contact me by pm

thanks heiko

GEH

Reaction score
Any engine preference?

Sent from my iPad using Biplane Forum

Daytona12

Registered Users
Reaction score
i would prefer a stock-engine between 150 - 200 hp with inverted fuel and oil system to do standard aerobatics.
here in germany fuel is expensive, but there are some lycomings you can use with car gas.
so what do you think is the best engine for that ?

GEH

Reaction score
I have a IO-320 / 150hp but no inverted systems. Can only do Acro with positive G's.

GEH

Reaction score
Any engine preference?

My mechanic told me the cylinders need to be high compression to run car gas and the carb or injection system setup too. I don't have those details.

TFF1

Reaction score
Low compression to run car gas. Not high. If the timing needs to be changed then the engine is too powerful and needs 100LL. You will loose too much HP making a high compression engine run on car gas.

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The O360-B and O360-D have a compression ratio of 7.2:1 and I believe they are suitable for auto fuel. They are rated at 168hp.

Vilhelm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you really want to use auto fuel, I think you should look for an Acro Sport with the 150 HP O-320 Lycoming , which are fairly common. I am afraid that the low compression O-360 engines mentioned by Neil is rather rare engines, and I think it will be hard to find an ASII with such an engine.

Also it is not only the engine which is a concern. The complete fuel system need an evaluation, gaskets and seals will possibly not stand up to auto fuel which contains alcohol and many other strange additives

SteveN452

Reaction score
For what it is worth, I used Auto fuel in my Acro Sport II for many years with no problems. I stopped when they started putting ethanol in auto fuel. My 150 HP 0-320-E2D ran fine on regular Auto fuel and I would still use it if I could find a source without ethanol. I had no problems with the fuel tank or standard aircraft fuel lines. This is similar to the auto fuel STCs that were available for many planes prior to ethanol.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran auto fuel in a C-85 and Franklin 165hp. Personally I like 2 gallons of auto 87octane NO ETHANOL and 1 gallon of 100LL. That mix seemed to work really good. Also as a note I didn't let the auto fuel sit in the plane for extended times....if it was going to sit we simply used 100ll.

Kris
Oklahoma City,OK
Currently restoring a Ranger powered Starduster Too

Latest posts