• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Wanted: AN150-16S turnbuckles

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Just on the off chance anyone has some hoarded away, I'm looking for 32 AN150-16S turnbuckles for my Marquart Charger wing build.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's a lot of turnbuckles!

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Eight per wing. I agree. Just over $1000 on ACS, so I'm hoping I can find some for a bit less. On the "positive" side, the AN150-16S is among the cheapest turnbuckles they list, at $33.65 apiece.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Cameron! Request sent, looks like they don't have anything in stock.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Hah. If I order the individual AN155 and AN161 parts to make up an AN150-16S on ACS, the cost is cheaper than buying the AN150 assemblies. Not a lot, $974 vs. $1072. Still. Pricing is hilarious.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Point of interest: Part Target (parttarget.com, a random reseller I found via web search) quotes me 32 AN150-16S turnbuckles for $41.95 each, so ACS at least has them beat. I'm guessing this will generally be the case for this type of reseller.

lakeracer69

Registered Users
Reaction score
Ian,

If you go with the AN assemblies you will have to safety wire them all. Many of the AN parts have been superseded by MS numbers.

If you were to use MS21251 barrels and MS21252 Clevis forks you would have the same assembly, but could use the locking clips. I have been going over this recently and am ready to order some of this stuff as well.

Try B and B aircraft if you have your heart set on the AN parts. They may have all you need at a better price.:cool:

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! I figured they would have been superseded by now, but I wasn't having luck finding the new number (I also didn't search very hard). At ACS, the MS parts are a bit more expensive than the AN parts.

I have no idea whether lockwire or clips would be a better choice inside a wing, though clips surely sound easier. Given the timescale I'm working on, adding lockwire to 32 turnbuckles isn't a noticeable delay. Are there other factors to worry about, particularly since I'm unlikely to have easy inspection access?

Last edited:

lakeracer69

Registered Users
Reaction score
I did have a thought that they are easy to adjust and safety wire when the wing is open. If you had to make an adjustment after covering it would be hard to
re-safety them (even with access holes). The clips might be more manageable in that scenario.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oof. Just put together the ACS order for wing hardware: just shy of $1300 before shipping, with $1010 of that being turnbuckles. I know, building planes is expensive. ;)

I've got the MS style turnbuckles on the list, just to stick to the thread topic. They're slightly more expensive than the AN style (which would be about $975), but I figure hardware is a weird place to save pennies.

I suppose the advantage of the Charger wing design is that I will never have to worry about cracked drag wire corner blocks.

Screenshot_2018-04-05_11-36-49.png

cvairwerks

Reaction score
Ian: The MS units with the spring clips are much easier to deal with and the increased cost will balance out not having to mess around doing the safetywire the others need.

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Now I'm curious: other than the locking clips and whatever changes are necessary to support them, how are the MS and AN numbered turnbuckles different? Sounds like maybe stress-relieving is required on the MS parts which might be skipped on the AN parts.

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you! I figured they would have been superseded by now, but I wasn't having luck finding the new number (I also didn't search very hard). At ACS, the MS parts are a bit more expensive than the AN parts.

I have no idea whether lockwire or clips would be a better choice inside a wing, though clips surely sound easier. Given the timescale I'm working on, adding lockwire to 32 turnbuckles isn't a noticeable delay. Are there other factors to worry about, particularly since I'm unlikely to have easy inspection access?
Clips...always choose clips. :D

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
AN/MS is just the old/new identification method. Same same...

Army/Navy specs...new name MilSpec.

cvairwerks

Reaction score
AN parts require safety wire, while the MS parts can use safety wire or the spring clips.

StinsonPilot

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Same same as far as function I should say.

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On clips. Just remember the ends that screw into the turn buckle also has to be the newer style with the groove for the clips. (Probably knew that but if you already had the old style I wouldn’t be buying new just to use clips. The new turnbuckles can be used with the old non grooved male parts etc. etc)

IanJ

Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. "Luckily" I have no existing stock, so I'm buying all matching parts. :D

Latest posts