• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Bellanca Super Viking

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I am searching for a nice Super Viking. We had one bought last week and the buyer decided to keep it. You guys know of any?

pigpenracing

Reaction score
Shawn,
i would have figured you for the triple tail 14-19-2 taildragger????
Got a buddy I am going to partner with. He has only flown a Cessna 172.. the Viking will be a big enough learning curve for him without a tailwheel.
I am flying a friends V35B now working on my complex signoff.

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Dude, I love me some Super Viking but, if you are flying a Bonanza now check out the V tail models made from 1958 to 1962.
The performance and economy numbers with the fuel injected 470 are stunning and the purchase prices are even better.
By 1958 they had made serious structural upgrades that really should have made the tail AD N/A to those models.
It's lighter and faster than a Viking on less fuel, has a better support network and more room inside.
I had a J model Bonanza. If you're flying a B right now you would love a J or later.

Piloto

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are right, Rob, but a person that seeks a Bellanca Viking is very likely to have a tube and rag biplane in the hangar, a rare Morgan Supersports in the garage, a Chris Craft runabout at the dock, and exotic Scotch in his reserves.
TN

crankyklingon

Reaction score
In the realm of aviation exotica I'd put a classic V tail on the list right up there with the super Viking. Don't put hate on the Bonanza just because it was a commercial success.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Already told Shawn what I thought of the Bellanca. The thread showing the spar butt should have said it louder than I did, guess not. That spar problem could not have been diagnosed with a pre buy either. I was ginchy about them before, really am now. The Bonanza's problems are widely known and easily repaired if necessary.

Rob, second everything you said about a later model Bonanzas. Same price, better performance, and great resale. I'd have one if I didn't already have the Meyers.

Last edited:

bipe215

Reaction score
I have flown Continental and Lycoming powered Super Vikings. The Lyc definitely had more get up and go on take off.

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Hey, if you really want a rag wing classic get a staggerwing!:D

Piloto

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No hate, my main ride is a Baron 58, and I still miss our V-35.

Last edited:

pigpenracing

Reaction score
I like the Bonanza and the Viking. The Viking is like a Corvette where the Bonanza is like a Escalade. I have always liked the Viking. If everyone liked the same plane they would only make one kind. Lol!
If I find a nice Bonanza for Viking price I will look

Reaction score
Vikings are cheap for a reason. I love 'em but you need to find somebody's pampered pet if you want one that bad. That will cost you Bonanza money. Always pray that the termites keep holding hands. I owned a 250 Comanche for 13 years. I thought it was a great traveling machine until I flew my uncle's '60 M model Bonanza. Then I wanted a Bonanza. The light weight Bonanza's have very nice control harmony and are comfortable if you do use it as a four place aircraft. Bonanza owners are actually a cult with a secret handshake.

Last edited:

FastEddie

Reaction score
I own a 1974 17-30A Super Viking with the Continental IO-520, and I love it!

150kts TAS at 65% power, 160kts TAS at 75% power, 1000# useful load, 75 gal (5+ hours) of fuel, nice IFR traveling machine

The best places to get leads on planes available and on all the maintenance, pre-buy and operating questions is the Viking Pilots Forum:

http://www.vikingpilots.com/

If you are concerned about wing issues (aren't we all?), there are 4 shops that specialize in Vikings around the country where you can get a thorough inspection before purchase. (Minnesota, Texas, California, Pennsylvania).

I picked up mine with 400SMOH, 60SPOH and old avionics for $40k. A similar V-tail would have cost me double that.

A 1979 or later is about 10 knots faster but will cost you another $20-30K.

A 1979 or later with an IO-550 conversion is about 20 knots faster, but they usually go for $100k or more.

The factory is still in business producing parts, and, unlike Beech, the parts don't cost you an arm and a leg. There are also plenty of parts to be had from the salvage market.

Since you're in Texas, call these guys: Rocket Aviation (formerly Millers Flying Service), Plainview TX. 806-293-4121 http://rocket-aviation.com.

They are experts in Vikings and can steer you in the right direction.

Last edited:

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Bonanzas are cheaper than you think.
My J with a fuel injected 470 would do 203 mph true at 75% @10,000 feet burning 15 gph at 50° rop. Pretty good efficiency.

n727gs

Reaction score
I've got a '66 14-19-3a (260B) which is essentially a Viking with an IO-470. In '67, they bumped up the horsepower and called it a Viking.

Restored/rebuilt about 10 years ago, won outstanding Bellanca at OSH. Nice airplane, minimally IFR, lives inside. Don't fly it much anymore as I've got lots of other airplanes to exercise. Would consider a sale but it doesn't really have to go......

Steve near Chicago
N8506R
KENW