• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Wanted: cloth or leather helmets for headsets

jetsareforkids

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking for one or two cloth or leather flying helmets that will fit David Clark headsets.

Thanks,

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
If you are looking low budget go one eBay and look for Navy flight deck cranials. They are canvas and come with David Clark style hearing protectors in them. You can discard that or repurpose that for when you are mowing the lawn. The David Clark headsets fit right in. Some come with ABS snap on shells that you can discard. The shells are color coded by flight deck MOS, i.e. ordinance, fuel, mechanic, etc.

Best of luck,

Wes

Vintageav8r

Registered Users
Reaction score
Look for "Flight Deck Helmet" on e-bay. I just received a 'brand new, in the original bag' one that I purchased last Sunday night for $27.00. This is my second one. When they get dirty, I throw them away and get another.

Be Happy - Save Money!
E

jetsareforkids

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The flight deck helmet was a great tip, got two new ones for $27 each. Just what I needed. My kids were disappointed in that they are not leather though, they said they are leather in cartoons. I'll keep my eyes open for a leather set as well.

akmetal

Reaction score
How good are these http://www.gibson-barnes.com/prod-294041/Communications-Helmets.html

at filtering out actual cockpit noise for radio transmissions out when you click the button to talk? My PM1200 does great for the intercom but actual transmissions out when the engine is at cruise is almost uninteligable when I push to talk do to cockpit noise NOT incoming transmission noise which is what the bose filters.

Smithacb

Reaction score
I've looked at these for ages, V tempted but no idea if any good??

They look good

akmetal

Reaction score
For 638$ they need to filter cockpit noise otherwise I will just live with it lol.

mbarker

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We can chat. I have a cloth helmet from Pops that I love but doesn't keep out noise. My Lightspeed does that. But just switched to clarity aloft.

akmetal

Reaction score
My existing one is a "flight suit ltd" that fits a david clark. The thought of my radio being as clear as my intercom almost seems too good to be true ... do I gamble with $638 lol. Looks like flight suit ltd is a really obscure company owned by James A Wegge - USA, California, El Cajon,92020-1682, 1675 Pioneer Way no email or phone number.

There is also this cap http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/lift-aviationfluxL.php?clickkey=204019 not sure how I feel about this one.

Flybipe

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Flightsuits Ltd aka Gibson and Barnes has been around for a long time and are about the only place (I think) you can guy a brand new Gentex helmet as a civilian. They are well known in the warbird and aerobatic community, more so under their old name of Fligjtsuits Ltd.

I have a helmet from them, I have been to their store, they are a real brick and mortar business. It looks like the helmets you are looking at are their cloth helmet with the plastic ear cups they sell that go inside an HGU-55. I would expect them to work as well as a passive David Clark type headset. My helmet with the ANR turned off is "ok", much better with the ANR on, and even better still with the CEP and ANR on.

akmetal

Reaction score
What is cep is that built into some david clarks? I can't seem to find the same style cap that I own now on the Barnes website, do they sell leather caps without the head set built in?

wanttaja

Registered Users
Reaction score
No cloth or leather helmet is going to provide any appreciable passive noise attenuation, unless the helmet is NOT designed to take a headset AND includes ear-cups that seal around your ears and insulation as part of its design. Noise attenuation will be the sole province of whatever headset you wear as part of the helmet.

A hard helmet can include both passive attenuation and accommodation for communications.

Ron Wanttaja

akmetal

Reaction score
Ron

The Barnes anr leather cap has a built in head set

My existing david clarks started working amazingly well for the intercom when the pm1200 was installed so it has to be electronic filtering of engine/air noise.

I am wondering if the Barnes has something similar built into the mic for radio out transmission.

taff

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a long way from flying.

But has anyone experience with Campbell systems?

I understand they are in New Zealand.
I like the classic design.

IMG_2761.JPG.w560h420[1].jpg

wanttaja

Registered Users
Reaction score
I am a long way from flying.

But has anyone experience with Campbell systems?

I understand they are in New Zealand.
I like the classic design.
I really like them. But have you checked the price?

Ron Wanttaja

Latest posts