• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WANTED: Gentex HGU-55 Helmet

patioed

PATIOED
Reaction score
Looking for a Gentex HGU-55 Helment...if you have one to sell, let me know...

Ed

SaltyPittsDriver

Registered Users
Reaction score
Used or new, project or complete? I might be able to help depending on what your needs are.

patioed

PATIOED
Reaction score
New, I can get from the distributor in CA...best case...lightly used with boom mike,
ear cups and CEP installed...need size large by their size scale...would consider a shell
in good condition with bungee visor (very well priced, of course) or something in between...OK with fiberglass or Kevlar...Trying to avoid spending $1800+ on a new one yet save what hearing I have left...if you have ideas, PM me or give me a call...480-205-3602
Ed

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
A compromise is a Clarity Aloft headset under a Bonehead Composites Guner. The Clarity is essentially a CEP kit and boom mic. And you can use it in Cessna/Piper/Mooney's without the helmet.

I have been messing around with adding a Bungee visor to my rig. You can get the snap studs and add them to the helmet. But for now my large aviator style sunglasses meet my needs for eye protection if I have to bail out.

Some of my acro pilot friends have also been happy with the above combination. The Guner is lower profile and fits better in airplanes like S-1T's than an HGU.

And this combination is less expensive. If you will not be dodging ground fire it should be good enough.

Best of luck,

Wes

patioed

PATIOED
Reaction score
Wes...
No heavy flak in my near future, so this is a Great Idea...and me being an X skydiver...I should have thought of Bonehead...
I already use the Clarity, so this becomes a no brainer...I'll do the research, but you turned me on to a great option...One of the great things about this Forum is, no matter what the question, somebody has already worked out a solution...
Thanks

Ed

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Don't mean to hijack the thread but what is the advantage of a Guner verses a standard motorcycle helmet of the same style.

L

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
When you are pulling "G", a heavy helmet is a real liability. I have an extra large neck as a result of wearing a heavy helmet years ago. If I have to wear a tie for a formal occassion, I have to wear a custom shirt. I blame the old helmets for that.

Modern DOT helmets are lighter, but are still heavier than military and skydiving helmets. And the aviation helmets are set up to accept aviation accessories like CEP kits, ANR kits, better boom mic's, audible altitude alerters, etc. And the face opening is generally cut different. Not sure if that really makes a difference but it is a difference.

One accessory that a friend uses is a skydiving audible altitude alerter. This is a gizmo that is maybe 1/3 the size of a pack of cigarettes that a skydiving helmet has a space for next to your ear. He sets it to do one beep 500' above the floor his aerobatic area, and a second, more insistent beep at the "hard deck". This helps is situational awareness. A DOT motorcycle or race car helmet is not set up for this kind of accessory.

The other aspect is size. The DOT helmets are simply larger. They often do not fit in an acro ship's canopy. Even an HGU has problems fitting into an S-1T. A Guner does fit. There is different padding in aviation helmets. Probably more expensive padding that requires less volume to do the same job. DOT helmets are aimed at lower price points and without the same size/space constraints can be larger to use more of less expensive padding.

Hope this perspective makes sense.

Wes

kenamt

AcroKen
Reaction score
I second the Guner - it is a light weight!!!!

patioed

PATIOED
Reaction score
Did the research and ordered the helmet...I purchased the Guner...got it today...put the Clarity Aloft on, my new sunglasses and off I went...I was more than impressed...Helmet exceeded my expectations...comfortable, quiet and super lite weight...the cockpit of my 540 Eagle has never sounded so quiet...after 30 minutes of aerobatics, I forgot I was wearing a helmet...did have to turn down the volume on the radio...Thanks for the suggestion...really happy with the setup, and saved a bunch of money to put in the gas tank...

Ed

ssmdive

Reaction score
So just put on the clarity aloft, pull on the helmet and slap on some sunnies and you are good to go?

I have have a bunch of skydiving helmets factory diver, oxygen, Phantom X, invertigo.... I had planned on trying to modify an old leather frap hat.

But I need a new tandem helmet and thinking of an S1 helmet..... So this may be my solution as well.

patioed

PATIOED
Reaction score
Yep...that was all it took...Clarity, Helmet and "Sunnies"...
Flew with it again this AM...took a minute to get the mike in just the right position and I made a couple of "tweek" adjustments to the Clarity over the ear piece (for comfort) and had another quiet ride. If you already own the Clarity, this is a simple, quality solution, if you want a helmet and not spend the 2K for a fully set up Gentex...
Thanks to Wes for the idea....

DragonflyDH90

Reaction score
OK guys. I will rehash this old post.

After an HGU-55/P, -68/P or -84 , must be in large and also if its a -55/P it must be Kevlar.

Doesn't need any comms or visor just as long as the shell is in good condition with preferably a good edge roll although that isn't essential.

Would prefer a later one with the chin/nape strap that passes through the oval hole in the shell and again preference would be given to an X Liner over a TPL but would take either.

Please don't go over the 'use a Guner with Clarity Aloft' comments as the guy I am building this up for has no interest and only wants the mentioned items.
I have checked with flighthelmet.com and also Bells Aviation, looked over Evil Bay and also checked with Gibson Barnes / Gentex but I strike ITAR export problems.

Thought I would check you guys first.

Cheers.

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
All of us here in the US are subject to the ITAR regulations. If Gibson and Barnes can not ship to you, I am subject to the same penalties. For better or worse the HGU's are military equipment. If the Oz military uses them, perhaps you have surplus sources?

Best of luck,

Wes

DragonflyDH90

Reaction score
Thanks Wes.

Yeah the Aussies use them so am attempting to track one down that way as well.

I have had dealings with ITAR imports before with various things and have been cleared for that too, takes quite a bit of paperwork.

Cheers,

Ryan

Latest posts