• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Wanted J3 tailwheel spring-this could have been bad.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone might have an extra J3 tailwheel leaf spring laying around I'm in the market. Yes, I can buy new.

I dodged a bullet today. Flew the Tu-holer. Made my normal gentle landing and as I taxied back to hangar I lost steering, like the rudder pedals were frozen. I was pointed at hangar and got back with minor braking. About 15' from my ramp the pedals broke loose but the nose went up in the air a bit.

Tailwheel spring broke and took the AL steering yoke with it. No other damage.

Jack

ilikeitinverted

Registered Users
Reaction score
Jack, I’ll check in my hangar, I might have my old one.... but it will only be a week from now. Will let you know.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Jack I was able to have one made at my local truck spring repair place, just copied my old one.

RickRice

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve also had success having a new spring made at the local truck springs manufacturer.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks but there isn't a "local" spring place here. My buddy who did my cases thinks there is at least one set in his hangar. "Inverted" thanks, I'll let you know what I find.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I can buy a new assembly from several vendors but as usual I'm looking for one someone has taking up space on their shelf or under their bench. I will need to modify(shorten) the unit and prefer not to cut-up a new one.

ilikeitinverted- came-up empty here so still interested. (I'm robing the spring from the Acroduster to get back in the air but still need another one)

Thanks again,

Jack

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my friends found one so I'm good to go. Just got finished making a bushing to enable me to do the swap that I no longer need so back to airport to first put the AD2 back together and then fix the Tu-holer. I wish I would have bought another "Scott" type stearing arm instead of spending a day making one that still isn't finished. As usual after not touching a torch for several months I had to teach myself how to weld again.....

Oh well.

Again my sincere thanks for helping out or at least wanting to.

Jack

ilikeitinverted

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi Jack, looked high and low and no luck... it must have not survived last spring cleaning, glad you found one! -Igor

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for looking. Yes I'm good to go, well almost. I made a stearing arm but not satisfied so I ordered another Scott type from ACS. I did try it out but I had to grind it to clear the spring at full deflection, well I could make another one right but easier to spent another $50 than to work another half a day in the cold. Rather work on the franken engine.

Thanks again,

Jack

Latest posts