• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Wanted: KV Pitts S1 Canopy rails

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
As title states after KV rails to suit Pitts s1.

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
They are difficult to find. I looked for a while before having the S-2A's outer rail re-plated.

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Bill,
I’ve found the “Hardware store” rails but if I can get a set of the plans rails it would be nice. cheers,
Sam

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
There may be a few floating around but I have yet to see one offered in modern times. I have resigned myself to using some different for my project -- I need longer ones anyway.......

Flybipe

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What length K&V are you after? S-1S’s came with 20” rails, -T’s came with 24”...

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
24” or longer

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
What length K&V are you after? S-1S’s came with 20” rails, -T’s came with 24”...
You might want to check those numbers, the S-1S plans call for 24" rails.

Acrobum

Reaction score
I believe the plans call for 24” rails but only open 20”. I have a set of 1400s that I am keeping for future use. I will measure today.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That's probably right for how the rails are used on the S-1S, the 24" number is when they are installed with the outer rollers to make them full extension. I don't have any knowledge of the T canopy being different than the S canopy, the cockpit area where the canopy mounts is the same for both airplanes.

jrs14855

Reaction score
Bill-
I have to disagree with you. The T is substantially wider at the instrument panel than the S. The T tracks are "less parallel" than the S. Quite a few S models have been modified or built to the T configuration. On both the canopy flexes as it is opened and closed, more significant on the T.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You are right of course, the structure's stations in the cockpit area are the same but the sheet metal is pushed out at the instrument panel which changes how the rails mount. I was speaking only about the length of the cockpit and the fact that the rails appear to be the same length as the S rails. As far as I know that is the case but I have no documentation to confirm it. The S-1T three-view I have shows the canopy sitting in the same place as the S and the aft end of the rails overlap the T-deck the same amount as they do on the S airplanes. The parts manual for the S-1T might confirm that but I don't have one.

Pitts S-1E

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 30 inch KV rails on my S 1E. They were 36 inch rails that I cut down to size. This allows for much more room climbing in and out with a parachute strapped to your back. I still have a few sets of extra rails in my parts inventory. Private email: [email protected]

Attachments

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Email sent.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the part#, what do they look like, are they AL or steel. I have a set of AL rails my Pitts mentor gave me 40 years ago.

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Part number K&V 1400-24 for the stock Pitts canopy. They're steel formed from sheet to create the rail parts. Disregard the 'extra' roller in the image below.

upload_2019-12-5_11-21-2.png

billdit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you looked on woodworker.com?

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
These are long out of production which is why they're so hard to find.

billdit

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought there might be something you could substitute since they have a lot o different guides.

Latest posts