• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted... Nice Pitts S1S or possibly S1C

pigpenracing

Reaction score
The Model 12 is gone and I would like something to play around with. I have never flown a S1 but always wanted to. I saw what is on the market but nothing really caught my eye.
If anyone knows of a really nice S1 please send me a PM, Text or email.
[email protected] or 979-451-3251

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Are you looking for bone stock or all tricked out? As if I have to ask.... :)

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I think everyone should experience a light, stock 180hp Pitts S-1S (not Sparcraft). It won't be exciting like the M-12 but it just such a perfect little toy. Good luck!

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think everyone should experience a light, stock 180hp Pitts S-1S (not Sparcraft). It won't be exciting like the M-12 but it just such a perfect little toy. Good luck!
Yes, it could then be the benchmark every other airplane would be compared to. Maybe make other comparisons less apples/oranges?

crankyklingon

Reaction score
Hey Bill, how about a "C" for someone who might not need 4 aileron flippers.
I've often considered building one wouldn't it be simpler, lighter perhaps even faster with the same engine?
I know you sacrifice some roll rate and resale value.
What else am I missing?

cwilliamrose

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The C ailerons don't have quite that same 'dense' feel and solid response the S ailerons have. They're not bad, they're just different.

I have a hard time making a case for building C (or even D) wings. For almost the same effort and expense you can have S wings. If you want to fly behind an O-200 or you're operating at 7000' DA then maybe the D wings would be a better choice. Or maybe you're just in love with those short C lower wings.... Otherwise why not spend your time and dollars building something close to perfection that might actually have some additional resale value too?

That's my take on it biased by several hundred hours of S time and not nearly as much C time.

Reaction score
I flown both and my advice to a potential C owner is to never fly a four aileron S1 and you will be satisfied. 180 hp is mandatory in my opinion unless you qualify to ride in the Kentucky Derby.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ditto. I owned a C and loved it. 150 hp was enough w/no electric and I weighed 140#. I haven't flown a S but the roll rate and feel of my AD2 has ruined me on the C.

I might buy the right LONG C but I'd NEVER build one. For me a 180 horse S1D might be ideal but again I wouldn't build one.

With due respect,

Jack

Latest posts