• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Wanted- O320 narrow deck cylinders

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe.

I just picked up what looks like a really nice converted O290G. It was cheap, I wanted it for spare parts for the Spezio mainly cylinders. Anyway, I have had zero luck selling my Acroduster 2 air frame. In retrospect I should have rebuilt it's IO320..... Oh well...... So "IF" this engine looks ok inside after I take it apart my plan is to machine the case for O320 cylinders. I'm also going to make a new longer/correct mount.

Ideally I'd like 4 narrow deck take-off cylinders with pistons that I can install and fly/try. High time run-out fine. Once-IF I confirm engine will be satisfactory I'll have them OH'ed. Of coarse other cylinders will be considered.

I don't want to commit until I confirm internal condition of the engine but OTOH seldom pass up a really good deal.:)

(Of coarse my last really good deal was that pile of scrap metal HIO360)

So what do you have in the corner someplace

Thanks,

Jack

VH-FKS

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What was wrong with the HIO jack?

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Case had non repairable crack. Straw that broke my back at the time.

Pigpen. I'm very happy now it didn't sell . Marcia said it would work out. I still need to only have one airplane though. Hope it's a biplane:D

BTW----long story.... Remember the kid who wanted to buy it back when the engine started making metal(IO320). I wouldn't sell with a problematic engine. Then we considered a partnership. He gave me $6500 to fetch a mid time O540 in NJ but we missed it. Then he moved away. Now he's back with a fresh PPL(finally). So I guess the partner thing is on and we can afford to build a good solid franken 320. I even have the servo etc. off the IO320. Complicated. I want the O320 crank out of the Spezio's O290 and need a different sump for the servo. If the new O290G is ok maybe put it on the Spezio and frankenize it's engine while swapping the acc. cases for the fuel pump drive. .......

Oh well.

Jack

Dana

Reaction score
What does it cost to mod the case for the O-320 cylinders? My O-290 is running fine at the moment, but if it ever needs it the O-320 jugs are a lot more plentiful.

Kelvin Rempel

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Case had non repairable crack. Straw that broke my back at the time.

Pigpen. I'm very happy now it didn't sell . Marcia said it would work out. I still need to only have one airplane though. Hope it's a biplane:D

BTW----long story.... Remember the kid who wanted to buy it back when the engine started making metal(IO320). I wouldn't sell with a problematic engine. Then we considered a partnership. He gave me $6500 to fetch a mid time O540 in NJ but we missed it. Then he moved away. Now he's back with a fresh PPL(finally). So I guess the partner thing is on and we can afford to build a good solid franken 320. I even have the servo etc. off the IO320. Complicated. I want the O320 crank out of the Spezio's O290 and need a different sump for the servo. If the new O290G is ok maybe put it on the Spezio and frankenize it's engine while swapping the acc. cases for the fuel pump drive. .......

Oh well.

Jack
That's great to hear Jack. Hope it all works out for you.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dana. I don't know. I'm going to ask a local machine shop my friend /A&P uses. Probably be awhile after I get one taken apart....

Another question. Can you interchange Slick and Bendix mags? Or maybe different drive gears?

1 Albee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure when you get the case machined that the machining of the cylinder holes goes deeper than then just fitting the cylinder spigots, the piston skirt extends below the lower part of the cylinder at BDC. Slick or Bendix will inter change.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Yes I caught that fact in your earlier reply. That must have been a bummer to find they weren't bored deep enough. I might have considered removing some skirt which might be a bad idea?

The Slicks may be "ok" but w/o logs are problematic and as I recall the older ones don't rebuild? I have the set of Bendix mags off the IO320BiA. I guess the mag drives are same between O290 and the IO320?

Both mags were impulse on the IO320B1A. I wonder why, seems an extra thing to break?

I'm glad I have a real airplane mechanic nearby along with several here. Thanks again

Jack

1 Albee

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The drives are the same for both engines. I like Bendix because they can be rebuilt, the Slicks can now also be serviced. The IO -320 (an injected engine) may be a little hard starting when hot (I have two of them on my Twin Comanche). When I overhauled mine I used Slicks because they were a better bargain at the time. And yes it was truly a bummer with the pistons hitting the un-bored portion of the case, cutting down the piston skirt was not a good option for me, short pistons may wobble more then I was comfortable with.
Phil

Latest posts