• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

WANTED Pitts rod type spring and locking tailwheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksmershon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm iterating on N262PD. The plane originally had a rod spring and Haigh on it when built by Peter Groves in Canada. Then it was converted to a J3 leaf spring that didn't quite fit the way I'd like it to on the build in flat weldment.

I'd like to go to a locking tailwheel again. I'm currently borrowing Doug Jardine's steerable tailwheel and rod type spring off a project Pitts in his garage.

At the very least, I'd like a steerable double fork and rod spring that is not a "loaner" to use for the foreseeable future. I'll need to match my fuselage weldment AN4 bolt holes, as they are not drilled to any standard. The front to rear attach point distance, however, is S1S standard.

Current setup just uses aluminum machined block to hold the rod spring. Two halves. Not perfect, but hopefully good enough for now until I can machine a better one.

Does anyone have parts that might help my tailwheel situation?

I admittedly only have one landing so far in moving the plane to a hangar to do more work (new prop spec'd by Nick Cain!!!, ADSB, alternator work, electrical gremlins). But the rod spring gets the tail lower and the three point speed lower. That seems nice.

Mr. Murray (neighbor) has Milk Run with a unique locking and steerable tailwheel. I'd love to have one of those, but I've never seen another Pitts with one on it. It looks like a Haigh with chains to it and a cable to release the locking mechanism.

Brooks

IMG_20201014_203650409.jpg
IMG_20201012_174911473.jpg
IMG_20201013_085425097.jpg

Latest posts

Back