• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Pitts S-1T

AV8er

Pitts Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted: Factory Pitts S-1T. I'm watching Barnstormers and other sites. If anyone on the forum has one (or knows of one) and thinks about selling please let me know. The one that just listed on Barnstormers sold in 1 day. I was set to head to Kansas City to check it out when the owner said he got a call and accepted a cash offer.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Join the club....I called him about the same time, got all the info and pictures sent via email, and then got the same email you did.

I thanked him for sending me the info and I said the old term ''if you snooze you lose'' was appropriate here but I didn't even get a chance to yawn first.

Good for him....I wish I could have sold some stuff as fast as he did!!! I owned the airplane one serial number from this one so I wasn't even going to look at it but I wasn't fast enough on the trigger......this time.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Why would you want an S-1T, they did not work, they never sold that many.
The angle valve engine and constant speed prop were to heavy for the airframe. S-1S is the way to go, trust me!

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Blanket statements like that are pretty easy to disagree with. Back in the stone age when a good S-1S was around 750# empty any S-1 that was over 800# was considered an overweight pig. Now an 800# S-1 is fairly light because they're all loaded up with electrics and avionics that are considered to be 'necessary'. An 800# and change S-1T sounds pretty good and is actually possible but they get loaded up with all the same stuff and now they're the new pigs and the 820# S-1S is just fine. It's a moving target.

Last edited:

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Gonzo, thanks again for the pm. The Pitts factory hasn't built a lot of ''popular'' models but that doesn't mean it was because the airplanes were POS. There were about 60 S1S's sold (not counting kits), about the same number of S1T's, and probably half that number of the S2S's which in one form or another is the standard biplane for most airshow performers, and then the S2C which wasn't much of an improvement over the S2B that it effectively drove a stake thru the heart of what used to be Aviat's ''bread and butter'' akro airplane, the S2B.

The biggest reason some of these models are so popular is the fact they can be imported and licensed in another country due to the fact the models in question had an FAA Type Certificate. Some foreign countries make it virtually impossible to certify an amateur built aircraft...even an amateur version of a certified model. The Type Certificate automatically opens doors that are normally closed, locked, and nailed shut in some places.

Bill's point is dead on and so is Gonzo's . The light weight C/S props, smaller govenors, and electrical systems that weigh a fraction of the ones from the 70's almost make the T redundant but it just comes down to personal preference and I like T models. Just sorry I wasn't quicker on the trigger on this one. The only other one that's been for sale was a cotton covered, non akro crankshaft, old radio model but with low time however the owner was over the moon with the 80K price tag. The akro crank mod costs about 13K to do if a shop like Barrett's performs the work. Cover jobs average 30K. So far the bottom line for a certified T needing fabric AND an engine is around 45K and you'll still have more money in it than it's worth by the time you make things right. Of course that's the case of all fabric aircraft...akro type or not.

Of course the one obvious fact is that there is no way someone could build an airplane like this for it's current asking price. I don't think the factory will ever reinstate the factory kit option. Even if they did the current price for a factory certified S1T fuselage is $15,000 and change....for just the naked painted fuselage. I'm still wanting to know what happened to the five S1S's the factory itself announced it would produce. Nice build up and fanfare before OSH, even rumors of deposits placed, and, as far as I can find out, not one piece of wood or metal has been cut for any of the five S1S's.

Last edited:

SaltyPittsDriver

Registered Users
Reaction score
You might want to be specific and ask "how my biplanes does Aviat produce each year?"

My guess...very few biplanes. Their bread and butter airplane is the Husky.

Next time I make my way to Afton I'll ask.

RT

race38

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've flown 2 T's. I thought they flew pretty well. I won a sportsman contest with only 1 flight in the airplane. Had a good time flying 3 unknowns including a 5 figure free in intermediate. Honest airplane.
Charlie Schwenkers' will be for sale soon.

Rick-CAS

Registered Users
Reaction score
That was one of the best looking "T's" around in Kansas City. It had been the the mascot plane for Great Planes aerobatics. Several of their students owned it over the years. It always looked and ran good.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
www.pittss2b.com shows as many B and C models and I go the impression the C is out of production or on order only. Husky production seems to be keeping the cash flow moving thru Star Valley.

Rick-CAS

Registered Users
Reaction score
I know when I needed a bid to repair a set of "A" wings they did not have anyone that did wood work. I was later told by former management that the "C" was special order only and he had not seen one on the line for over two years.

jerr888

Registered Users
Reaction score
No wood workers? They keep sending me a card that says "if your airplane needs work, bring it back to the people who built it", or something like that! They show a B that was in a fire, before and after they rebuilt it. Wonder how old that picture is??? Jerry

kingw

Reaction score
I have owned a factory S1-T for approximately 14 years. I believe that it is one of the last if not the last built by Aviat (serial #1060). Having flown several different models of Pitts I can say that it is one of the most enjoyable, best performing airplanes that I have ever flown, bar none. If you can get your hands on one, buy it....you will not regret it! The fact that Aviat has not built any during the past decade has nothing to do with the quality or performance of the airplane. It has to do with demand and the high production cost. A new factory S1-T would cost in the $200k range.

-Wes

Rick-CAS

Registered Users
Reaction score
The "B" the factory rebuilt from the fire was a former Holiday inn/ Coca Cola team plane. That was done in the mid 90's. A local owner had the factory do an annual on his "B" a year ago and it needed wing work that they had to hire a wood guy to fix.

Flybipe

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to The Pitstop in MT? Seemed like they had the right idea to start doing Pitts maintenance with ex-factory guys...seemed they came and went pretty quickly though.

And to the guy looking for the S-1T, you just gotta keep looking, they are out there. If you are set on a factory certificated airplane, you can be looking a long time. Experimental Exhibition ones are easier to find...there was one at my airport for sale about a year ago for over a year with no takers. It was priced high but the thing was gorgeous. Flew about 1.5 hours a year for the last 15 years though!

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Josh, I'm the guy looking and I don't care if it's EXB or Certified....they've relaxed the Exp/Exb restrictions back to a more ''normal'' position so that's not the problem it used to be. Recently the one on Barnstormers sold in about 15 minutes!! The other one was so highly priced even the broker was not going to renew his contract with the owner when it expired. I know they're out there because I've personally put 4 of them in other hands. Should have kept the last one but there's always something in the way with other projects etc. I had kept the last one in another hangar because I needed room for another project....one day I thought I'd better do an annual cond. insp. on the plane...that's when I found out I hadn't flown it in over a year. I can't blame anyone but myself and unfortunately that last plane isn't coming back....it went to Germany....I had it listed for over 6 months and had the usual group of tire kickers but no one in the US wanted it. I'll find one.....

AV8er

Pitts Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Josh, I'm also "the guy looking," hence the reason I started this thread, haha. Thanks for the info and the encouragement!

Rick-CAS

Registered Users
Reaction score
That was the reason I needed a bid to fix a set of "A" wings. The Pittstop in Montana never trammeled the wings. The plane had a horrible right roll and when trying to re rig it would wrinkle the fabric. They had the right idea just not the experience.

jdm

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hey, wait, I thought I was the guy looking...

I've all but given up for this season. Perhaps in a coupla months people will be looking to sell, after their summer of fun.

As you know, there are tons of s1c on barnstormer but that's just not for me. Id really like an s1ss, with the faster roll rate. Potential partners all want two-place for some reason - there's a gorgeous S2A on barnstormers for $67k. If I had partners in hand I'd be happy with an s2c, but I wouldn't buy one solo, preferring the S1.

More than one S1S I've been interested has been missing logbooks, which seems a non-starter. How can you lose the logbooks? Sheesh! Unless I got it as a project and rebuilt it (and the logs) no way.

I'm just now selling third shares in my turbo Mooney - awesome XC airplane, but tail slides are a bitch ;-) and I was told that had my logs been missing that's a good $25k value gone.

The nice S and T models I've seen have been almost as much as S-1-11b which IMHO is God's chosen aerobatic mount.

--jdm