• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WANTED: Pitts S2-A Rear Windscreen

aobt14

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I want the ability to remove my canopy and fly open cockpit in the hot Texas summers so as the title states, I'm looking for a rear windscreen for an S2-A with all the necessary hardware.

S2e

Reaction score
FWIW: I did this on my S2A. Very uncomfortable with the canopy off and windshield installed. Airflow wants to push my head forward. Has to be real hot for me to fly it that way again. (It did make taxing nice though.)

aobt14

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW: I did this on my S2A. Very uncomfortable with the canopy off and windshield installed. Airflow wants to push my head forward. Has to be real hot for me to fly it that way again. (It did make taxing nice though.)
I've heard about the air pressure but didn't realize it was that uncomfortable. Is is the rear canopy design itself or just the aerodynamics of the airframe?

S2e

Reaction score
I don’t know what the cause is. We have one of the later kit S2Es. Wide/tall fuselage and symmetrical ailerons. Started out with the 2 place canopy. One hot summer, I dug back through our stack of Pitts stuff and put the rear windshield and frame that came with the kit on the airplane. It will definitely get your attention as you slide past 100 mph or so. The faster you go - the harder the push. After a 1/2 hour or so, I found myself stuffing my face into the windshield to get away from the push. I don’t know if a different windshield would fix it or not. A friend that used to throw out skydivers in his S2A never mentioned this to me. Maybe it was just my installation?

PittsDriver68

Reaction score
My S-2A has an open front and removable single place canopy on the rear. The Art Scholl STC. I can remove the sliding bubble in the summer.

The airflow off the top wing hits the rear cockpit. The front seat passenger sits in pretty calm air. You might notice the airflow less if you wear a helmet with a visor. But I hardly ever fly with the bubble off, even in August. If I want to be cooler I will put the front windshield on and leave the front cockpit open. Nice cool draft.

Best of luck,

Wes

Bond007

Registered Users
Reaction score
I have the rear windshield that I put on my s2c,it's windy ,but beats the crap out of sweating to death
Danny 007

PittsBird ZB

Registered Users
Reaction score
aobt14, as you are an owner now, I must inform you that you are required to call your plane an "S-2A". :D :) :D

There is an ad on Bstormers for a rear windscreen...the ad says it's for a B model - does anybody know if this item is interchangeable with an A model?

There seems to be 2 different designs for single canopy and windscreen (s):

The 1st design is the older style that I've seen on A models and a couple of B models and has the options to have:
- 2 open holes with windscreens only
- open front windscreen with canopy over rear only
- or canopy rear only and cover over front (makes it look like an S-2S)

The 2nd design is the newer "Racer Canopy & Cover" still made by the factory. I've seen this on C's and B's. The rear windscreen is much more sloped (aggressive looking) and extends over part of the front hole requiring the front cover to be on.

I have the same setup Wes has for his A for my B . They look the same, but maybe there are changes for the different models? I kinda doubt they designed and built two different sets of parts, but then again the other part of me thinks they are not interchangeable. Anybody know?

**Edit - I should have also mentioned that my parts to convert from the double canopy to the single/open setup includes the two top pieces of sheet metal that go around the occupants. This sheet metal has smaller entry cutouts (it wraps over the occupants higher) and the cam locks for the windscreens.

Last edited:

PittsBird ZB

Registered Users
Reaction score
Not a great pic of the older style stuff collecting dust in my basement, but the parts include the canopy, 2 windscreens, the front top sheet metal, the cover for the front sheet metal hole, and the rear sheet metal.

...and installed

Canopy.jpg

292539_3682640099044_1066349461_3258399_2139287528_n.jpg

aobt14

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Bump...still looking

Latest posts