• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

Wanted: Pittss S-1 Plans

mekstrand

Reaction score
I'm looking for a set of S-1 plans for a S-1C restoration project. I thought I'd check and see if anyone has an old set laying around before I order a new set. A serial number is not required as I will not be building from the plans.

Kwajtimbo

Reaction score
Aviat has plans for the Pitts S-1S, are available for purchase for $250.00. In addition, Aviat Aircraft carries a full line of original manufacturer's spare parts.

capnbill767

Reaction score
Have a used set for 125 plus shipping, bill 321-223-5834 also pitts parts listed on ebay

Mcwpittss1

Registered Users
Reaction score
If mekstrand doesn't want your plans I would be interested in them for $125.

Morphewb

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The number on the Aviat plans isn't really meant for the serial number...it's used for their own accounting. You don't have to sign anything (at least I didn't) when you buy them, they come in very readable and sized green lined drawings AND I can remember when guys like Bill and I would have paid that much and more (1n 1975 dollars) to have a set!! I have a set of the SS plans just for the records so I can't vouch for this but there have been complaints about certain parts of thos drawings brought up more than a few threads here.
I had my original plans that came with the kit in 1974 which had the M6 airfoil S1D wing with it. Later drawings come with the S1S round wings. Sorry if this is information you already know.

Mcwpittss1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'll take them, if they are the Aviat plans, PM sent.

capnbill767

Reaction score
The plans I have are from steen aerolab S1C, still available 125, will include shipping 321-223-5834

Dennis Flamini

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who have plans i have S1S plans that show 13" offset from top to bottom wings for the i-strut but when i rig our wings we have quite a bit less than 13". Could you check that dimension on your plans?
Our plans have revisions to several dimensions on the i-strut.
When i tried the old i-strut i came up with 4 degrees dihedral and 1 degree washout in the outboard top wing with 1.5 degrees at the cabanes (no washers on trial). Anyone hear of S1's set up this way.
The biplane was used for airshows and built in 1977.
Dennis in Chicago

Pitts wing trial 3-9-13.jpg

Last edited:

cwilliamrose

‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ ‍ 
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
The 13" dimension is correct. I notice in the photos that you have only one lower wing installed. If you are making all your measurements from just one side you may want to look at the other side too. Or at least do a measurement from tips to tail post on the upper wing. Could it be that the top wing is not square with the fuselage?

Also, that 13" dimension is measured with the bottom mount points of the I-strut level, not with the airplane level and not with the wing at zero degrees AOA.

You would not set up a Pitts as you described -- if you knew what you were doing anyway. I'd also tell you there are very few properly rigged Pitts airplanes flying with no trim washers at the I-strut bolts. Even if you rig the airplane carefully and make the I-struts to fit the airplane, over time things settle in and change a little. If you make the I-struts to the print there will be more trimming to be done unless you get very lucky.

Last edited:

Latest posts