• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted - S1S/S1T/S2A Hijacked Thread ;-)

invert33

Reaction score

Looking for a reasonably priced S1S/S1T/S2A (or 55M, I know, wrong forum) for a friend currently overseas. Must be in good condition with good times, prefer no damage history. Cash up to $45k for the right aricraft. It will be a quick an painless sale for the right plane.

S2A on Barnstormers at the moment - anyone have any history on it? Google says it was a right off in the 70's (including fatality) and more damage history in '95.

andrewrichards

Reaction score
55M? Draggy, oily, smelly, prop spins the wrong way, % of max power, big, need to get yourself a scuba tank......

I dont mind them to fly, bizarre seating position, legs end up under yourarmpits and the stick almost hits your chin.

Stick to a Pitts....

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Oi, don't knock a Yak.. they also rock!

Tomcat

Reaction score
There was a very nice looking S2A on barnstormers here a few months ago that had the Marion Cole paint scheme which was involved in a mid-air back in the 70's that ended in a fatality. I did a quick scan through barnstormers and didn't see it listed anymore though....

andrewrichards

Reaction score
Probably way off the initial post, sorry to hijack....

Mr Macwolf - Please accept my sincerest apologies for the Yak attack, I have actually been looking at 2 on Barnstormers. I am thinking I need an acro mount now rather than having 3 on the go at one time. It is highly depressing not being able to fly inverted and the noise complaints that go with it.

I have a little time on the 55M, I like them. The ergonomics - seating and stick position take some adjusting. I am pretty sure they were designed to fit someonewith short legs attached to a long body with one little arm and one long arm. I also find it hard to adjust to the prop spinning the other (wrong) way. All easy to get used to though.

I am also naturally lazy, spending the time on a thorough preflight followed by hand turning the prop 56 times before starting it up all eats into flying time. I tend to go and do a session nice and early before work (refer noise complaints above)

The S2A on Barnstormers at the moment (N79DG) I enquired about. It was involved in an accident in 1979, according to the NTSB report the pilot hit wires/poles on final and unfortunately resulted in a fatality. Looks as though it was repaired and had another mishap in 1995. Looks like it has been repaired right, in the normal category. I would find it mentally hard to fly an aircraft knowing that there was a fatality in it. I have been involved in aviation coronials through work, some of that stuff never leaves your head.

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Mr Richards,
Let's completely hijack this thread then ;-)
I had the most fun with a Yak until a friend reduces it to ashes.. but doing it again, I would not opt for the Yak52, but definitely prefer the 55. Either the mid-wing or low-wing - don't think it matters as much as advocate make out. I found the 52 just too heavy for a beginner to keep energy management under control. I'd be flamed if this were a monoplane forum of course, so it's just an opinion. Others would argue that energy management on a Yak 52 teaches you good habits, like say a Decathlon does, but for different reasons.
They are supremely well built, and the 55 is so much lighter as to make all the difference.. but they are still heavy(!) so jumping from your Yak 55 into your Raven or S2 will be a different world in terms of agility... although you probably won't tumble as nicely..
I imported my 52 from Estonia, and it is heaps cheaper to bring in 2 .. so if you plan on going down the 55 road, talk to me.. I could be convinced... :) .. wonder if we could find enough space for ferry fuel tanks to try the tasman.. hmm...

Heck, this is a biplane forum... what are we talking about!

smutny

Biplane Addict
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Blasphemy... pure blasphemy... You heathens take heed!

andrewrichards

Reaction score
I guess it could be perceived as blasphemey, I would always have a bipe as well. Oh well.

The 55M is pretty heavy but built like a tank, Ive never flown the long wing 55 but they say energy management it theM is a little trickier due to the drag. The positioning is awesome for tumbles, way different toan S2.

I was thinking a 55M, I can keep it outside rather than in a hangar. Hangar costs me $10k a year where I live, thats for a little bit of space in the corner.

Stock they have a range of about 700k's I think, have no idea where could stick a ferry tank! I ferried a 210 across from NZ quite a few years ago, it was a long and scary flight with one engine and lots of water. I wouldnt be too impressed if I had to ditch andended up hanging out in the big blue ocean with all those sharks and giant squid trying to get me.

The other issue I have is importing something from the Experimental Ex category, over here it would need to be put in the LImited Category. Different rules to experimental, if they had been modified poses a few problems. Given the track width, height and width of horizontal stab makes it hard to just roll on into a container.

The ones I am looking at both have had prop strikes, one has had a tear down and the other is flying without a tear down. I wouldnt be comfortable with that.

Still a thought at this stage, still need to figure out what to dowith thefleet of half built tube and wood I have at the moment. Just want to fly.

If anyone wants to donate something too me, it would be highly appreciated.

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score

I hear ya, I just want to fly too!
You need a 40 foot container.... a Yak wont fit in a 20' one, but 2 will fit in a 40'.. go figure.

Smut: I'm an infidel, not a heathen ;-)
Edited by: macwolf

invert33

Reaction score
my post has been hijacked! thought i would bring a bipe back into the discusion.....

Yak 55:

EW - 1411lbs
GW - 2150lbs

MOdel 12 HP:

EW - 1525lbs
GW- 2250lbs

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
That is interesting. I thought the Model 12 would be way lighter than the Yak.
Remember one is a single seater, then other a 2 seater, but still....

andrewrichards

Reaction score
What about one of these Stu?

http://www.yak.ru/ENG/PROD
ew_152.php#begin

Yak-152 M14P-X

"It is planned to use the Yak-152 aircraft in aero clubs and flying schools that makes it possible to train skilled pilots and sports aircraft pilots in a short period of time at minimum costs."

"The aircraft is equipped with the SKS-94M ejection system to provide safe escape for crew members."

Aerobatic, primary trainer with ejection seats. Awesome, no need to teach forced landings.

A bit on the heavy side though....

macwolf

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
$$$$$$$ i would think.

andrewrichards

Reaction score
Yeah, maybe they charge by kilogram (or pound).....

I would also be way too tempted to test those ejection seats (on the ground with my parachute and wearing my lucky undies)

Latest posts