• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Waterjet planning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LauraJ

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm making progress getting my various sheet metal pieces into CAD for the waterjet, but I was wondering how many extra pieces I should request.

In my theater construction work, I'd usually get 10% extra materials to cover any oops moments, or discoveries that the plan missed out on a couple of 2x4s. I've heard many people say that they make airplane parts three times before they have something they want to put on the plane. Seems like there's a happy medium between 110% and 300%.

My sheetmetal parts fall into four basic categories: those which are flat, those which are bent, those which are welded, and those which are bent and welded. The flat ones (the minority) I'm not too worried about -- 110% seems like overkill.

However, for the bent ones, 110% feels about right: bending is a low-speed operation, and can be done carefully enough that I'm not worried about making each one three times, but I can easily see where I'd make enough mistakes to want that 10% overage on each part, particularly if I need to apply heat to get the bend done.

Where things get more uncertain for me is the welded parts: I'll be doing lots of practice welding, but welding proceeds at a comparatively speedy pace, and I can see myself making more mistakes on airplane parts here. Is this the area where I want more like 200% coverage?

Obviously I can also make parts by hand if I blow up too many of my waterjet parts, but as long as I'm spending the money on the waterjet work, I strongly suspect it won't cost much more (as a proportion of the base cost, anyway) to get extra parts cut out in anticipation of my future butterfingered self.

I still need to figure out who I'm working with and get their opinion on how to work this out, but I feel like the decision on how many extra parts to cut is one I should make independent of cost, so I can at least balance cost and future pain.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Latest posts

Back