We lost one our members today. (May 2017)

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by freerangequark, May 9, 2017.

Help Support Biplane Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. May 9, 2017 #1

freerangequark

freerangequark

freerangequark

Mostly harmless. Lifetime Supporter

I'm sad to report that we lost one of our members today, Jon Karkow "Kinnerhatz".

Jon was an Engineering Fellow with Icon.

Jon Karkow spent 21 years in aircraft development at Burt Rutan's Scaled Composites and over that time rightfully earned the reputation as the most accomplished aeronautical engineer and project engineer in the history of Scaled. He led more than 20 aircraft programs and five complete airplanes including the record-breaking, around-the-world Virgin GlobalFlyer that won him a 2006 Aeronautics Laureate Award from Aviation Week & Space Technology. Most recently, he served as the Technical Program Manager for Richard Branson's commercial space program SpaceShipTwo. A licensed airframe and powerplant mechanic, Jon received a BS in Physics at Kenyon College and a BS in Aeronautical Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. He was an active pilot and experimental test pilot with instrument, multi-engine, seaplane, helicopter, and glider ratings.

Jon was a great guy and a brilliant engineer. I had the pleasure of flying a few times with him, once in the Charger and once in an Amphib C-206 for my first taste of flying off of water.

He will be missed. :(

18422891_1316013708448084_3651215980454958110_o.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  2. May 9, 2017 #2

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r Lifetime Supporter

Very accomplished.

Sad day indeed..

3. May 9, 2017 #3

AQAdude

AQAdude

AQAdude

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Had the pleasure of working with Jon at Scaled and the honor of helping him with his Hatz. (He gave me ride to Santa Paula, my first open cockpit/biplane ride) truly a sad day. Jon was a great guy

bad day

4. May 9, 2017 #4

acropilotbret

acropilotbret

acropilotbret

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I met Jon here on this forum. That meeting turned to a job and me having the absolute pleasure and honor of getting to work and learn from him over the last 1.5 years. My desk was adjacent to his and on several occasions I was honored to fly off his wing. He loved most all aircraft but his heart seemed to always be drawn to biplanes. He was a frequent reader here and occasional contributor. That really was him in a nut shell always listening, but when he spoke (not all that often) all would listen as he usually had something important to say. He was a true home builder and a very skilled one at that. He was an amazing craftsman the modifications he made recently to a long ez he had were amazing. He made me a better pilot, engineer and person. I will cherish the short time I had with him. Blue skies Jon.

Taildragger, Jerry, f18shack and 2 others like this.
  5. May 9, 2017 #5

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

I am very sorry for these men's loss, especially for their families and coworkers. I pray that Bret and the other Icon employees keep faith and continue making this remarkable aircraft even better.

Warm regards,

Jack

6. May 9, 2017 #6

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

pigpenracing

Sorry for the loss Bret... I was thinking about you when I heard a Icon went down.

7. May 9, 2017 #7

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Lotahp1

Ohhh Man. I'm sorry to hear of the great loss to the aviation community and to their families and friends. They both sounded like remarkable guys. I hope there is something to be learned from this tragedy and Icon stays on path. I camped at the Seaplane base last year at OSH and talked to several icon guys...I'm not sure who. The concept is very cool and the build design is awesome...I believe the Carbon ribs was from their booth I shared in another post. I remember year before last enjoying a few drinks and late lunch on the balcony of a restaurant over looking the lake at OSH while watching the icon guys give ride after ride.

Blue Sky's and tailwinds my friends...

8. May 9, 2017 #8

Jerry

Jerry

Jerry

Radial Skybolt Builder - 176% completed

So sorry to hear this... Godspeed

9. May 10, 2017 #9

barchiola

barchiola

barchiola

This space available.

10. May 10, 2017 #10

smizo

smizo

smizo

Moderator Staff Member Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Very sad to hear. I hope you can find out what happened Bret. I will say its too bad to hear of your friend and a forum member passing but as soon as I heard about the accident I was pretty happy to get that return text back from you!

freerangequark and Taildragger like this.
  11. Jun 3, 2017 #11

ssmdive

ssmdive

ssmdive

12. Jun 3, 2017 #12

jrs14855

jrs14855

jrs14855

Word is getting around that ICON has thrown their late employees under the bus. PILOT ERROR!!!!! anyone else heard this??

13. Jun 4, 2017 #13

Flybipe

Flybipe

Flybipe

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

I know nothing about the accident or the pilot but I just read the report posted above...kinda sounds like they entered a canyon without enough room to reverse course or climb out, resulting in stall/spin in a turn or CFIT.

Would that be the plane's fault?

14. Jun 4, 2017 #14

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users Supporting Member

Full discussion on the Super Cub forum. Fisherman witness etc. No doubt it wasn't the airplane's fault, they simply flew up the wrong cove.

15. Jun 4, 2017 #15

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Eric_Anderson

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I am awfully sorry for the loss to their families, their friends and aviation in general.

I have heard nothing about this accident until reading this thread just now. Knowing less than nothing, it is probably reckless to say much. But I think a manufacturer has a responsibility to its product and its employees, all of which could be sunk by one accident if the company doesn't get out front of speculation. If they KNOW it to be pilot error and therefore KNOW that no design or manufacturing flaw contributed to the accident in a meaningful way then not only is it their right to blame the pilot, it is their duty.

16. Jun 4, 2017 #16

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

crankyklingon

Sad but true. Life with lawyers.

17. Jun 4, 2017 #17

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Larry Lyons

Registered Users Lifetime Supporter

I'm afraid I have to agree with Eric. No, not nice but necessary.

18. Jun 4, 2017 #18

TFF1

TFF1

TFF1

It does stink, but they have a product that is in such high demand that they can't ever fill the demands. If the faithful bail, they will be sunk.

19. Jun 4, 2017 #19

acropilotbret

acropilotbret

acropilotbret

Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Jim you have no idea what you're talking about. The "Word" that's getting around that you refer to is from people who just want to hate. You are simply propagating that. If you have ever been a party to a NTSB investigation you would know we have no ability to influence the words of the investigators. That report was published by the NTSB. I personally lost a close friend who was my supervisor and mentor. I would appreciate it if you tread lightly with your comments. A healthy discussion is fine we can all learn from accidents but flat out unfounded accusations are out of line.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  20. Apr 20, 2018 #20

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r Lifetime Supporter

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018