• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Weight & Balance/Tailwheel Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyJ

Reaction score
I know there are multiple W&B threads here on the forum, but none of them specifically address my questions, so please indulge me and help a poor dumb Ohio hillbilly.

Here's the background:

I just finished my Skybolt and even with an IO-540 hiding under the hood it scales at 1275 (oil but no fuel), which makes me pretty happy. Generally I understand the 540 birds come in significantly over 1300. What made me most definitely unhappy is that when I plop in it I wind up with a C.G. 1/2" aft of limit, and that's after moving the battery.

So I have a few questions that will help me decide the appropriate action(s):

1. Assuming I can get the CG in tolerance, it will likely still be aft of nominal (L.E. of bottom wing). Does anyone have experience flying a Skybolt with a CG aft of ideal, and if so, is it an issue?
  2. My current tailwheel is a Scott 3200, which is a boat anchor. What is the lightest tailwheel assembly I can replace this with, and how much weight might I save? Weight savings that far aft make a huge difference.
  3. Given that the lightest tailwheel will probably be a locking type, what are the drawbacks? I have never flown a locking tailwheel.
  4. If I have to hang weight on the nose, is the best path to just strip off my B&C starter (sob) and replace it with the stock piece of crap? I hate the idea of adding weight.
  5. Any other suggestions to get that CG moved? Yes, I know I can lose weight, but at 6'5" I'll never be 150lb. Even at 210 I look like a stick.
Thanks in advance for the help.

P.S. Watch my show The Big Brain Theory on the Discovery Channel, Wednesdays at 7pm. It was a heck of a lot of fun to make, and you'll get a big kick out of seeing engineering nerds trying to build things. Plus you can say you know somebody who was stupid enough to do a reality TV show... :D

Cheers.

Latest posts

Back