• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

weights of the firewall forward package

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darylat8750

Reaction score
I did a search to no avail. If I missed this please let me know.

I'm hoping to get some hard numbers on the actual, installed weights of various fire wall forward installations. So many of the numbers given by manufactures and engine builders are difficult to compare. One will give numbers with no mags, plugs, harness, oil cooler, induction/carb/FI system and another will include some but not all. At OSH I asked an auto engine converter what the fire wall forward wt was and he gave me a number that was so low it took my breath away. So I said did that include: radiator? NO. Coolant? No. Fuel pump? NO. Prop Gov? NO. I said "Well what is the wt of everything in front of the fire wall?" He said "I don't know." I think what he was really saying is that he was afraid to add it up. Some prop. people include the gov. and some don't. Then you have all the wires, cables ect. Cowling weights vary as well.

So maybe I'm a "Polly Anna" but here is the request. If everyone who has the data for their installation could list every thing they have forward of the fire wall with it's weight we might be able to get enough of a data base to help others with the planning. There is expected to be variations even among identical engine and prop combinations and it will be useful to figure out the differences. In a perfect world we would hook a scale to the top of the engine and unbolt it at the firewall. That will not happen but if everyone who responds would be as accurate as possible and disclose their level of confidence with the number presented that would be appreciated.

Latest posts

Back