• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Welding Rod

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MH6490

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Ill Use this first question also as an new member intro. I just started building a Skybolt standard, and I'm completely new to aircraft building. I have built a lot of stuff in the past, but nothing that has required the workmanship of an airplane. I grew up on a farm so I've had to try to get rid of the baling wire and duct tape engineering that I have been practicing up until now. I figure making sure I get the welding rod right is a good step in that direction.

Anyway, on to my question. Ive started with the fuselage, and I have gotten to the point where I welded the splices in the longerons. Someone had recommended that I use RG45 rod when gas welding 4130, so I went to my local welding shop and got some. I welded up the splices and everything seemed well until I re-read the builders manual which stated that I should use uncoated RG45. The rod I used was copper coated, so im wondering if the coating is a big deal. Should I go ahead and use the longerons, or should I scrap them and buy some uncoated RG45?

Latest posts

Back