• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Welding Safety

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocTim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello to the group. I would like to share an occurrence that happened to me. I consider myself very safe and cautious when it comes to welding. I keep the workplace clean, clear the area where I’m welding, have a fire extinguisher and water hose available I even think of an escape route out of the garage if things get out of control. After a day of welding I come back and check the garage an hour later to be sure nothing is smoldering.

The sparks off the four inch grinder also gets a lot of respect.
What had happened was as follows. I was welding a fitting with the Oxygen Acetylene torch, completed the weld and promptly turned the torch off. The tanks were still open for I was going to weld some more.
The fitting required some shaping so I started using the 4 inch grinder being aware the direction that the sparks were going. With that done I walked across garage to the workbench passing the welding tanks oblivious of what had happened
Finished with the wire brushing on the motor lathe I was returning to the welding station when I heard a faint noise similar to the sound of a wooden log in the fireplace letting out gas or steam as it heats up.
Looking at the Acetylene tank there was a candle like 1 inch flame flickering off the top of the shut off valve which must have been ignited by the sparks generated by the grinder. Needless to say I quicklyblew it out like a birthday candle and shut the tanks off. Closer examination found the valve cap fitting slightly loose.
I went over the rest of the fittings with soap bubble solution and found them tight and will“preflight” my welding unit more frequently.

Latest posts

Back