• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

What is the best 4 probe EGT for the money?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Baxter

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Because my engine is so different from a stock O-290-D2. PS-5C, different exhaust system, different airbox, and inlet, different cam. It has been suggested by my engine guy that I have the ability to accurately monitor all four cylinder EGTs and I would like to do so for the phase I flight testing. I know these engines are turn of the century technology, but I am getting to old to be a test pilot with out being paid to do so!

There is an old AD and Lyc SB mandating this. Probably was a result of running the O-290-D2 on 80 Octane Fuel ?

54-02-01 LYCOMING: Applies to All Model O-290-D2 Engines. Compliance required by February 1, 1954, and at each subsequent 100-hour inspection. In order to preclude the possibility of serious engine damage from incipient detonation under certain atmospheric and altitude conditions, the magneto timing of all Lycoming O-290-D2 engines must be set at 18 degrees BTC. To insure that the magneto timing does not change substantially from this setting, it should be checked and reset, if necessary, at each subsequent 100-hour inspection.

Lycoming Service Bulletin No. 169 issued with the same 18 deg BTDC mandate.

I believe this AD was issued when 80 octane fuel was in common use, and probably has little to do with my engine due to all that has been changed, and the fact that only 100 LL fuel is available today.

I would like to have some real world numbers and a small read out, also something that has the ability to down load the data would be a plus, just thought that some one on the forum may have already discovered a good fit? Dave

Latest posts

Back