• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

What type of Epoxy Paint?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mbibbey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
All, the search bar was not yielding much, so I‘ll ask directly:

What type of surface finish is suitable or recommended for 4130 frame assemblies? I guess the question is then, What do you plan to use for covering? That answer I have no clue about yet. I have several completed assemblies ready for finish, or at least surface primed to inhibit corrosion:
Stabs, Elevators, balance tabs, Rudder which will of course be fabric covered.
(Supposing Matte primer or zinc chromate?)
Some other items which will be finished without covering are:
torque tube, engine mount. elev pushrods, walk beam, reverser.
(Gloss epoxy paint finish?)

Is this something an auto-body place is capable of, media blast also? Yes, a hangar neighbor has the inflatable paint booth in his hangar, but between the paper suit and ventilator, I will pass on that, for now.

Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back