• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

What's in a Name? (S1-S, S1-D or S1-E)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This subject came up on the "Exploder" last month. I thought of it just now after reading this thread "Pitts S1 for Sale". In the Exploder conversation, the general consensus was that the only real S-1S's came from Afton. Everything else is either a -C (two ailerons), a -D (four ailerons, flat wings) or an -E (four ailerons, symmetrical airfoil) to which we can add Sparcraft wings and other oddities. Others say, "it's experimental. Call it what you want!" But if that was true, you could call your newly built Sonex an "RV-8" and the FAA would have to buy it. I recently corrected my Airworthiness which listed an old N-number for my "S-1S". It is registered as a S-1D. I tried to change that to an -S on the application but it came back as a -D. So the FAA seems to be less ambiguous about the nomenclature than I am. Another Pitts I looked at before I ultimately (pun) bought mine was a Blue and Yellow S1-D with symmetrical Ultimate wings and 4 really big ailerons (later bought and modified further by a forum member). At the time I wondered why the owner didn't call it an S1-S. But now I believe he was just being accurate by using the name that was on his Registration and not worrying so much about how that name would sell.

My Pitts is a one-off with symmetrical wood wings and four ailerons. It was sold to me (sort of) as an "S1-S" but Ray was very accurate about its history and various names before we shook hands on the sale. The fuselage is a kit built S1-D (I think). If I ever sell it I think I'll do what the seller linked above has done and honestly call it an "S1-D with symmetrical wings and ailerons".

By the way, this is a quote from that discussion. Tom Adams coincidentally once owned my airplane and competed quite successfully with it...

Tom Adams said:
>>
>> Robert,
>> Thats only partially correct. According to one of my last
>> conversations with Curtis there is only one S1S and that is a
>> factory built Pitts that rolled out of the factory with a standard
>> airworthiness certificate. The (AS IN ANY) home built Pitts is an
>> S1C but for the following acceptions. A home built Pitts that was
>> produced from a kit ( round wings 4 ailerons) purchased from the
>> factory is an S1E. Home built with a flat wing with 4 ailerons is an
>> S1D. ( Alan Bush flew one in a CIVA Contest. I think.)
>> What brought on our conversation was the fact that some of the
>> after market companies started to refer to making an S1S out of a
>> S1C by building their wing kits. They implied that that would
>> convert anS1C into an S1S..Not so !
>> Also any model of a Pitts that is / was a Standard category when it
>> rolled out of the factory is what the papers said it is regardless
>> of being moved into the Experimental category for Mods. There are
>> some S2E aircraft around ( S2 Kits). I;m sure I missed something
>> here but thats pretty much what I know to be true.
>> So… all of you Home built Pitts owners who have a round wing 4
>> aileron airplane with “S1S on the vertical Finn do not have a true
>> S1S…..Those of you who have one of those A/C and it’s original
>> builder registered the A/C as an S1S…Well he has that right so it
>> is what he says it is..
>> And thats the TRUTHHTHTHTHTHTH

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back