• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

What's it worth??

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I may be replacing my 80" Hartzell HC-C2YR-4CF Flawless Prop with an MT, Mine has 400 hours on it, not a scratch on it.. Any idea what mine is worth ?

Last edited:

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Was it something I said?
I found one un sold on Ebay for NEXT to NOTHING! I guess I will be keeping mine!

death trap

Reaction score
Buying a MT ? Hang on to your Hartzell so you can swap it out every time the MT needs to go back to Deland Fl .

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yea, Nope I thought about it and the Hartzell isn't worth enough... Also the performance of the Hartzell is better.. I thought the weight savings and performance would be worth it, and after I found a few Hartzells priced WAY below what I thought they would be worth.. I decided not to change..

Nate

Preparation A thru G failed, now it's time for pre
Reaction score
Yea, Nope I thought about it and the Hartzell isn't worth enough... Also the performance of the Hartzell is better.. I thought the weight savings and performance would be worth it, and after I found a few Hartzells priced WAY below what I thought they would be worth.. I decided not to change..
Just curious what the weight savings is?

cgzro

Peter Ashwood-Smith P
Reaction score
If memory serves it is about 15 lbs. I did the math a month or so ago to swap the HC with something else and I could not justify it either. I dont do much gyroscopic

S2e

Reaction score
Whirlwind 200AC and spinner weighs 23 pounds less than a Hartzell "A hub" prop and spinner. (And looks much cooler.)

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
You guys are about right..15 or less for the MT and around 23 for the Whirlwind, I looked at it about a year ago and couldn't afford it. There is an MT on Barnstormers and I thought about it again, until I got to thinking what I could do with $8000! buy a lot of GAS.... That and the fact that the performance gain is either small in some areas or none/negative in other areas. I'll be keeping my HC-C2YR for a while.

cactusav8r

Cactusav8r
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yep! Perhaps this time it saved me.. The HC-C2YR-4CF that evidently came on some of the S2s out performs the 4 Bladed MT and most of the Three Bladed props out there. It's durable, dependable and a bit heavier.. Fact is I can go on a DIET lose 15 POUNDS and be ahead of where I would be on the fancy 4 Blade MT... Plane doesn't know the difference between hauling my fat A$$ around or Prop Parts. Weight is Weight. Now the Whirlwind is a bit different.. It is comparable in Performance and Lighter, but I could still lose 25 pounds and be in the same ball field..

DO NOT TELL MY WIFE THIS..

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to lose 15, 20 or 25# too and it's possible. I did it one time about 12 years ago, went from 213 to 185 buy running and diet. Then I injured my back...surgery and then it got worse......Can't run anymore even walking is hard.

That said, losing weight is still possible but not easy:(

Oh well

Latest posts