• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Which mini plane?

Reaction score
Can't build either one for 12 large. If I was picking for you the Baby Lakes would be my choice of those two particular airplanes as I have seen that one in person a long time ago and it looked pretty nice. I think it's a better flyer on an A65 than a Miniplane too.

acro bobby

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the baby lakes. looks like a great clean airplane. I have flown a baby lakes. Great little airplanes. That one in the pics is very very clean!

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it's the one I'm thinking the canopy on that mini is butt ugly....I guess you might need it, no room to wear a parka?:rolleyes:

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the looks of that Baby Lakes.

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
That Baby Lakes looks nice. Wow, 12 G's+-........I always love that Top Gun sales pitch.

Reaction score
Miniplane ad reads "call and we can talk about it". I think the guy means "call and let me talk you in to it".

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just saw this one on Barnstormers for $13k...ImageUploadedByBiplane Forum1459524046.044754.jpg
Might also be worth a look.

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I read all the posts first and thought "aw my mini is being slighted". Went and looked at both, the Lakes wins hands down. That is one ugly Smith!

Lotahp1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly the Smith I saw for 13 looks like the winner to me. It's a 115hp vs 65. Has nice wide die spring gear. It just looks good. Not that the baby doesn't...but I think (I have zero flight experience on either) a 115hp smith will way outperform that 65hp Baby...

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first got back into flying again in 2007 there was a red/white O200 Mini here @ KCBE. Older guy, sold it before things went south. It was the best Smith Mini I recall, really nice. There was another one on top of a store in Frostburg, Md. Gone now....?

Larry Lyons

Registered Users
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I just think the canopy is UGLY! I hope my 115hp smith will be spritely performing at 750lbs.

Latest posts