• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wing Airfoils

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fox_mike

Registered Users
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm trying to lay out the rib jigs. I've read the discussion about building to plans or to exact numbers. Decided to go for numbers for several reasons:

1. I wanna do the rib jigs on CAD software, so I can model the whole rib, its jig and everey fit before wasting material. Plus it will make the production easier.
2. we are still not 100% certain which spar to use and what final dimensions it will have. (depends on which woods are available for us and what the officials will say about that. I believe and hope we will do a stress analysis on the wing)
3. I do not want to damage the blueprints, nor copy them and risk to compromise the airfoil another time. The drawings are already a little off measurement.

Ok, so here is my Problem:

According to the skybolt Plans the Airfoil for the upper wing is NACA36(2)-A015. On the drawings the rib is perfectly symmetrical.
To get the airfoil to cad, I went on airfoiltools.com, downloaded the coordinates and put a spline around it. Here is the resultand it is defenetly a different airfoil than drawn up.

Can anybody help me out here? Again, its not about plans vs. numbers. When using the drawing I would measure the drawing and bring it to cad that way because I defenetly want it on the computer.

thanks for all answers.

Flo

P.s. that ding in the front lower area is a failure, I will have to find a different interpolation mode for the spline

NACA362A015.jpg

Latest posts

Back