• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wing build cost?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssmdive

Reaction score
I clearly have a mental issue. I am thinking I might want to build a set of S1S wings for a Pitts. I'd like to build a set of wings then "mothball" them and start looking for a good deal on an S1C or S1S with Sparcraft wings and put on the new built wings.

So I have a few questions....
1. What would be the best way to store the wings and at what state? Should I build to varnish and then stop? Would it be better to cover through silver and then stop?

2. How to store them? Hang them? Lay them flat somewhere?

3. Cost to build a set of wings?

Not going to get into the "which wings are better" war.
I found this: https://pittsproject.wordpress.com/2011/04/13/what-does-it-cost-to-build-a-pitts-s1s/

Says:
Stock Steen S1-SS:
Steen CAD Plans $350
Rib Jigs $350
Wing Kit $5825
Wing Assembly Jig $395
Wing Hardware $2,000
AN Hardware ?
T-88?
Total for Steen Wings: $8,920

Wolf wings (IIRC) are about 11,500. How complete are they?

Raven Wing & Aileron Kits*
S1-SS Wing Kit $8,797

So it seems that Raven and Steen are about 9K and Wolf is about 11.5k.

Lots of people have told me the Wolf are better and more importantly easier for a new builder to actually build.

So anyone want to answer if these prices are about right? Does the Raven and the Steen not include as much stuff as the Wolf and what would that add to the cost?

Where to build to and how to store the wings till I find a plane to slap them on?

Latest posts

Back