• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wing Incidence Issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjk51

Reaction score
This gets a little confusing but stay with me...
Just got the upper wing of my Firebolt mounted onto the cabanes for the rigging process. They lined up well and are now bolted in. Things are going smooth....and then.. I set the lower wings into position. Ran the front spar bolt thru the fuselage fitting and leveled the lower wings chordwise. The fuselage is in a 2 degree nose down attitude...(And so am I.) The rear fitting bolt hole is lined up with the bottom face of the rear spar. Nearly 3/4" from its proper position. I checked and re-checked the spar fitting, fuselage fittings and cannot find an error. Some of you guys that have been thru this process can check my logic on this, and you other Firebolt builders can check your plans to see if they match mine...
#1 The fuselage wing attach fittings are welded on with the 2 degree incidence angle applied. That is the front fitting is mounted higher than the rear fitting.
#2 The spar attach plates on the wings are drilled 1 9/32" below centerline on the front spar and 11/16" below centerline on the rear spar. This hole position trigs out to a 1.47 degree angle from the spars centerline.
#3 With the fuselage fitting at 2 degrees and the wing bolt position at 1.47 degrees I am getting 3.47 degrees total incidence angle. When the rear spar hole aligns with the rear fuselage fitting. It seems to me that drilling the front and rear spars on centerline would put the wing at 2 degrees incidence when bolted to the fuselage attach fittings...As I see it I am compounding my incidence between the spar holes and the fuselage holes..Right..??? All feedback is appreciated.
You Skybolt builders... are your fuselage fittings welded on level, or with the incidence angle applied?

Latest posts

Back