• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wing Recovering Started

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrowe1

N6XL
Reaction score
For the last two weeks my wings have been worked on to remove the old paint and some of the covering and get fixed.
I could not have been more lucky in getting the man who is in charge of the repair, John Garric is doing the job and allowing me to help when I have the time. He has built three or four Yak-3's and just completed a French WW-II twin engine fighter/Bomber, it is a great thing to watch someone who know what they are doing work, he makes every job look easy.

He removed the lower wing and all of the paint, the covering on the first two panels had to be taken off also. I could not believe how well the wood looked for being almost thirty years old. In less than 10 days we have the lower wing almost ready for the first coat of Poly Brush.

I found some graffiti on the spar, My plane was built by a High School Shop class in Mundelein, IL from 1982 to 86 and I guess one student Dave Hendee in 85 signed my spar. I was kind of neat to look at some of the pictures of the kids working on the AS-II.
I took some pictures to show.

IMAG0239.jpg

IMAG0247.jpg

IMAG0242 - Copy.jpg

IMAG0251.jpg

IMAG0248.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back