• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wing Spars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redtail

Reaction score
I'm building a Pitts S1C from Steen Aero Lab Plans. I have just completed gluing the top wing spars together. The plans show a nailing strip, that conforms to the shape of the glue joint, locatedbetween the first two ribs on the top and bottom of each of the spars. The plans do not indicate what this nailing strip is made of. All the other nailing strips between the other ribs call for spruce. I assume that is what the center one should be also or possibly it should be plywood. Can anyone confirm this for me. The plans also say the front ones should be 1/4" thick and the rear ones to be 3/8" thick. Can anyone explain the reason for that. It would seem to me they should both be 1/4" thick so they would be even with the top of the rib capstrip on both spars. Then one last question. It appears the plywood covering over the top and bottom of the center section fits between the first two ribs. I think it should lay on top of the capstrip of the first two ribs so that it conforms to the airfoil shape.
Any help would be greatly appeciated.

Thanks in advance.
Matt

Latest posts

Back