• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wing stagger and gap.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Expat

Registered Users
Reaction score
People,Biplanes in general.
post_butt&
What effect would increasing / decreasing stagger between top and bottom wings have on flight performance?
What effect would increasing / decreasing the gap ( raising top wing) between the top and bottom wings have on flight performance?
Two reasons I ask is because I read about builders adding weight in aft fuse to balance larger engines while my thinking would be to move top wing forward instead...or is that idea false?
My Super Baby Lakes has severe down wash from top wing?? entering rear of cockpit.Leaning forward behind screen helps but I would like to cure or minimise the buffet ....wondering about installing a lip or spoiler on top wing trailing edge ahead of pit or raising wing slightly.I actually wish to recline the seat back for improved seating comfort but this will also position my head in the absolute worse buffet position.
I have read that covering over the front pit on a 2 place biplane can reduce buffet in rear pit ....I do not have a front pit to cause the condition so looking for ideas what causes the storm in my cockpit and how best to calm it.

Latest posts

Back