• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wing / Tail Incidence

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkelbach

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Pitts manual shows the incidence angles should be +1-1/2 deg for the upper wing (this is handwritten over what might be a 2 under the scribble mark), 0 for the lower and +1 deg for the HS. Mine measure 0 for the upper wing, -1 for the lower wings and +1 for the tail. My rigging boards are as close to parallel to the chord line as I could do by using the wing rib template drawing.

From my understanding the actual incidence of the wings is not as important as the relative incidence between them. The upper is 1 deg > the lower and this seems okay to me. Am I correct in this assumption? My concern is the tail. Even though it's correct according to the book it's not consistent with the wings. Is this just a trim issue or a stability issue or not an issue? This is another one of those places where I don't know what I don't know.

Phil

Latest posts

Back