• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wings and wires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyg

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
For a S1-11B:

The lower wing plans show a spar width of .875, 2 plywood plates at .25 each (total .5), 2 AL plates at .09 each (.18 total) and then 2 spacers at .38 each (.76 total). The total width of all that is 2.31. It then shows an inner pipe at 2.31 lenght. A bolt with the lugs on both end pass through all those pieces. The way I see is that when the bolt is tightened the lugs would not float but are in a fixed position. Also the drawings do not allow any additional thickness for the glue, varnish, and pimers. Are the lugs supposed to be locked down at the angle (as dipicted) and never meant to float to optimum angle as dictated by the tie rod? The drawings do not specify a torque (standard troque?) or a looseness to the bolt (seems unwise but it is a locknut). These do appear to float/pivot on S1-D wings. I guess they could be left loose until tie rods were installed and then locked at that angle.

Also, the drawings give a lenght for the tie rods. Can I assume they are "RL" and not "PCL"? Should I wait to order until after trial fitting of wings? Or is it safe to order at anytime so that they are here when needed? Steen says 12 to 14 weeks.

Also the stainless steel clevis's are 62 a piece from Steen but Cad/Zinc plated from ACS are only 32 a piece. I need 16 of them, so it makes a big difference. It looks like 8 of them would be essentially inside the wing, hard to view, so esthicallyy speaking, I could get just 8 stainless for the ones that are highly visible and 8 cad/zinc for the ones that are not. Or would all cad/zinc not be that bad of a match for the stainless steel tie rods? Both are rated for the same loads.

Latest posts

Back