• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

Wintersteiger Iron

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigblackmastiff

Premium Member
Reaction score
I saw a suggestion that a snowboard iron may work well for fabric work. I ordered this Wintersteiger iron from Amazon @ $37. I've used it on two wings so far and am really pleased with it.

It heats up very quickly and seems to cycle quickly to keep the temp accurate when ironing. It's easy to set a pace...the light comes on if you are moving too fast.

The temp dial has a few temperatures noted and it seems the calibration is accurate. I still calibrated and marked the suggested polyfiber temps.

I had some concern about the shape but haven't had any spots that were an issue..YET.

It hasn't shut down when set aside between steps...just maintains temperature.

Just wanted to pass on a good review.

I do have one question. My old coverite smoothing iron isn't getting much over 150 ...is it broken or is that all they do? Hadn't used it in 20 years.

41fWi7elfML._SL1500_.jpg

Latest posts

Back