• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Biplane Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wooden propeller for IO-320 (160 hp) Wanted

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Been flying the Acro Sport that Paul got a bit- it flys great but we would like to get the CG back a bit. It has some weight in the tail I'd like to get rid of and it is almost impossible to spin it.
We have a McCauley metal prop that we would like to trade for a good wooden propeller. The engine is an IO-320 E2D and is 160 HP. A 74x54 prop would likely be about what we need.
Let me know if you have one that may be available.
Thanks-
Eric

Neil

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking that engine has the 7/16" prop bolts?

My 150hp 320 will turn a Sensenich Wood 74x56 2350/2400 static if that gives you a guide line.

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I have a Sterba 72 x 54 with 7/16 bolt holes that I picked up recently for who knows why. It may be slightly under dia for 160 hp though. I'm guessing you'd be running 2400 or more static and cranking 3000 rpm at 155 mph? Who knows, but pm me if you are interested. I don't need a metal prop but would sell it for what I got it for.......250

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Brian- that prop might work. Some of the Sterba's were a bit shorter than usual. Wonder what it came off?
His engine spins the 74" McCauley (56 pitch) with ease. It will hit 3000 rpm in straight and level flight.
Eric

Defenseman1

Registered Users
Reaction score
I'll be out of town tomorrow, but will post some pics for you when I get back. Not sure what it came off. I got it from a maintenance shop owner that was cleaning out the hangar. It's in good shape and is wood finish with white tips.

jakelake

Registered Users
Reaction score
Eric, are you still looking for a wood prop? I have a sensenich 74X56 that might be for sale if my new Catto prop arrives in the next month or so.

acroeric

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Yep- Still looking for a nice prop for Paul's Acrosport. Trying to get his CG aft. Let us know when you are ready.
You will love your Catto. I fly one, have one on order too for my new engine. Best fixed pitch prop I've used. My current one is a 76" 2 blade prop and it pulls great.

Latest posts