• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $49.99/year or $6.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction). Annual membership also comes with two BiplaneForum.com decals.

WOOOW, my front windshield tried to kill me

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAABipe40FF

Registered Users
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I should have know better after all the trouble I went through with windshields on the Tu-holer. It was great single place but nasty when I first installed a flat wrap front windscreen. Once I installed blown screens in both cockpits all was calm. Irony is that I used the front windshield off the Acroduster to finally have a nice calm ride.......

Fast forward. I have the top sheet metal and windshield off the Acroduster 2 waiting for static ports to install so I decided to fit a front windshield and front cockpit combing to have a head start for when Phase 1 is done. I have a pile of old Tu-holer flat wrap screens laying under the bench so I picked the best and fit it to the front pit. Then I made a cover/front seat back for rear instruments.... Late yesterday I decided to give it a try.

I should have know better, I REALLY should have. There was a light rain so I got everything ready like ear plugs and helmet on before I pushed it out. Pushed it out, quickly jumped in figuring once started little rain would get inside cockpits and.......battery dead or at least it barely turned over. That was hard to figure??? Jumped out and got it inside, hooked up charger which indicated battery was ok...? That's "funny"? Got the wrench and found the ground cable from starter to mount slightly not tight enough(I guess?), secured them and managed 1/16" turn on other battery, ground, relay leads etc. Made sure mags OFF and tried starter and engine spun-up fine......oh well.

Rain stopped so I pushed it out and saddled-up. Engine started fine. By now it was a bit late with low cloud and well, "low contrast" as far as being able to see(which also became a factor). I could tell as I taxied out that there was some air coming in and around the two cockpits. As I waited for oil temp to move off the peg and did run-up, yea it was getting more breezy in the back but not that bad...

I lined-up and pushed the throttle forward. Static rpm ok so I let off the brakes and as I picked up speed the wind was pulling on my goggles and I hunkered down a little. You can imagine that it's busy as the ASI gets between 60-80 and the wind was showing evidence of maybe being a problem. I almost aborted but it was so hard to see exactly where I was that I was afraid I might not be able to get stopped so I rotated and found I was really hunkered down. Trim was even off, had to trim nose down for 100 mph climb which was unusual(my approach/landing trim the same and it should have been ok?) By this time I decided I wanted to be on the ground. Visibility is a real issue.....as I turn final I note the Md. State Police Helo had taken off from KCBE next door and was going to pass about 200' over me. Now the grass runway at 1W3 is 200' wide and it's green on both sides....As I line up I find I can't tell where the edge(with lights/cones) is. I aim for the left side of the middle of the green and as I come over the fence note I'm to the left but ok. NOTHING seems "normal" and I have trouble seeing and make a landing kinda from memory, hit a little fast but three point, bounce a little, realize I still have a bit of power so I pull it, almost go around since I'm too fast but realize I'm ok although I'm drifting to the left(first time I see the edge/cones), airplane settles, see ASI at a glance is passing below 60, yes it's ok...... Get stopped with plenty of room. Not THAT bad.

Hey my friends, I don't know what the bottom line is? Test flying after modifications is always interesting. When is too much of an unusual condition TOO MUCH? I managed to land ok and after I complete the front combing closing up the too big hole I may try it again in better light. It was the combo of late afternoon overcast low light plus the windy cockpit that was "almost" too much. If there is a bottom line except, "be careful out there" it's probably, only make one change at a time. Maybe leave the front pit covered and try the new windshield? Don't be in a hurry to avoid the rain, darkness, anything. Wait till tomorrow when fresh. Indeed I was tired, my back hurt, I was hungry, etc. etc.

Wait till tomorrow or there may not be a tomorrow?(that's a bit too much....I guess?)

For sure,

Be careful out there!

Jack

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back