• The Biplane Forum is a large global active community of biplane builders, owners and pilots. From Pitts to Skybolts, to older barnstormers, all types are welcome. In addition to our active community, our content boasts exhaustive technical information which is often sought after for projects and maintenance. This information has accumulated over the 12+ years the forum has been in existence.

The Biplane Forum is a private community. Subscriptions are only $29.95/year to gain access to this great community and unmatched source of information not found anywhere else on the web. We are also a great resource for non biplane users, since many GA aircraft are built the same way (fabric and tube construction).

WTB 2-Blade Claw

thebignickey

Registered Users
Reaction score
Looking for a 2-Blade Hartzell Claw. Anyone have or know of someone looking or thinking of getting rid of theirs?

Redfoot

Reaction score
How bad do you want one? Very rare item.

thebignickey

Registered Users
Reaction score
Looks like I will be picking up a S2A that's been sitting for some time. It curently has an A hub prop on it aka giant paper weight for me. Although a perfectly good prop with less than 50 hours since the A hub was placed on it.

I know I can get a B hub on it in the 4.5-5.5k range including an overhaul.

My other option is going with an MT prop. I am not a fan of 3-Blade props on the 360's. To much blade in my opinion. So I would be looking at one of there 2-Blade props.

And my final option and preferd is to track down a 2-Blade Claw. If I can find one for around what I can pick up a MT prop I would be a happy camper.

Redfoot

Reaction score
Have you considered a Whirl Wind 200C?

thebignickey

Registered Users
Reaction score
I have untill the certified airplane aspect comes into the picture. I have seen some performance numbers that show it compatible to the Claw. Thus is the reason I think the 2-Bladed MT would perform well.

Tomcat

Reaction score
You probably already know this but you'll have to do a 337 to install any other propeller on the aircraft other than the three blade MT or the stock Hartzell aerobatic prop. The three blade MT is already STC'd. Let us know how you end up, I've got a buddy of mine with an S-2A that's considering other propellers as well and like you wants another option over the three blade MT.

Redfoot

Reaction score
Does MT offer a new 2 blade prop that would work? Or are you thinking a used one, and would you not be back to experimental territory?

Redfoot

Reaction score
By the way I have a 2 blade "Claw" just overhauled this spring that will be re-mounted on my Pitts S-1T. I would have a hard time selling it for less than 18-16k. Hence my question "how bad do you want one". I know of only two other 2 blade claws, but there must be more? Did a little research last night and found a post of someone who knows of one for sale, but that was a few months ago.

Last edited:

thebignickey

Registered Users
Reaction score
Yes any other prop other than the original or the 3-Blade MT would require a 337 but this would keep the certified aspect intact. This is only so for MT, Hartzell, or another company that makes certified props. Sadly Whirl Wind is not one of these company's.

One 2-Blade prop MT makes that is one to consider is the one produced for the decathlon and the new 390 Powerd decathlon. I know MT used to market a 2-Blade for the Giles as well. There newer style squared off tip over the older rounded off style not only has a great or appeal, but from what I have heard also offers improver performance. It would be great to be able to try some props back to back. I am sure this is only wishful thinking however.

Seeing a few 3-Blade Claws for sale as of late from 19.5-25k I think the range of what a used 2-Blade would sell for on the market 14-16k would be the sales price I would put on it. Obviously everyone has there price they would sell or buy anything for.

Tomcat

Reaction score
Yes, MT does make a two blade that would work, they just don't have an STC for the S-2A. If you wanted to put your A into the experimental category you could put whatever prop you want on it....

I have done a lot of research on these props for my own application (experimental) and obviously the two blade claw would be my number one pick if Hartzell was still making them or there were more around, but because of those reasons the Whirlwind would be my other first choice. A friend of mine has a two blade whirlwind on his Lazer 200 and it's awesome! Really great performance for the cost, plus it's completely composite, not a wood prop covered in composite like MT. Just my $.02.

jstreat

Reaction score
When you do decide. If you plan on purchasing a Non STC prop. You need to submit the FAA 337 prior to purchase, save you grief and $$$. If the prop has and FAA/PMA but is not approved for your applicaton, you have a fighting chance for one time field approval. If it is non FAA/PMA approval, no chance in hell anymore.

JST A&P/IA

thebignickey

Registered Users
Reaction score
Sadly I am sticking in the certified market to be able to provide rides, and instruction. Other wise I would have my self an eagle and a whirl wind and be done with it haha.

Thanks for the pointers guys I am all to failure with the hoops that have to be jumped through backwards on fire while juggling.

I just heard word from Hartzell and they would be happy to special build a 2-Blade claw for the tune of 36,703.00 that's not going to happen. Maybe if there is enough intrest for a group purchase we could get them down on the price.

Redfoot

Reaction score
36 + Wow I guess my sell for price just went up, probably need to up my hull insurance also. :cool:

Latest posts